Chapter 18

I don't bother with my phone for the entirety of Sunday, and claim a painful migraine Monday morning. But Mom knows better. I shower and dress, but anxiety twists nauseous knots within my stomach. I have to be in a building with Lukas, Timothy, Jenna, and Leah. One wants to kill me, the other hates me, one is using me, and the last just found out what I am. A mental breakdown is in order.

"Do you have a ride?"

I nod dumbly, although I know that no car will be waiting. Jenna would much rather run me over than drive me to school.

I pluck an apple from the counter and throw Mom's lunch into my bag, which will be thrown away during lunch time anyways. As disgusting as it is, I need to find a way to feed and it won't be easy. I haven't completely turned though - how long can I last as this weird hybrid?

It's colder than usual outside but the sun is shining and I begin my ten block stroll towards prison. Time to think I guess.  Lukas. I don't know what to feel regarding him. He's gorgeous but that's about it. Because of him, his psycho ex-lover now feels the need to destroy me. Not exactly a bring-home-to-mom-and-dad type. However, without me, he'll die as well. The longer I go without binding myself to him, the faster I transition out of my Fresh-blood state.

What do I owe him? Why do I have to mate with him? I don't love him. I'm infatuated. It's scary that I can tell the difference. Falling in love hasn't happened to me yet. I only felt something,  something almost tangible, with Tim. But I ended things, especially after the night I was attacked under the tree. I've been pushing him out ever since. And Tim, well he's just been a victim,  and I've hurt him so many times that I've lost track. What I did on Saturday...the hairs on the back of my neck prickle and I shake my head.

Lidell High is within sight now, and I enter quickly,  dashing up the stair to grab my Environmental text book. Let's try and focus in school today. I reach my locker,  but slow as I find a white bag hanging from the lock on the door. Tearing through it, I find my beer-stained heels from Friday night, and a note.

Quickly, I smooth out the folded piece of notebook paper and scan, but not before glancing over my shoulder.

Left your shoes at my house...I won't tell.

I blink, then flip the page. That's it. I know clearly who it's from. But after all of that, all he has to say is I won't tell. I guess that's reassuring, to be perfectly honest,  I hadn't worried about Tim blabbing. I trusted him. Unlike Lukas.

"Where have you been?"

I rip the bag off my locker and turn to find Lukas, looking as gorgeous as ever. Of course - it makes me sick now.

"Busy."

The first period bell has already rung, and I don't bother with retrieving my books. I start off in the direction of my class but Lukas blocks me.

"Rachel, what happened last week must have been confusing but I can explain all of it."

"Save it. If anything, it was enlightening. I'm far from confused."

Lukas takes in my icy stare and withdrawn stance.

"What's happened that I'm not aware of?"

I groan, "Nothing that concerns you! Now I have to get to class."

"Actually this does concern me. So I'd like to know."

I swallow, suddenly uneasy in Lukas' s presence.

"I-I won't mate with you."

Lukas cocks one eyebrow, not nearly as  mind-boggling angry as I thought he'd be.

"If you don't mate with me, I can't protect you from Leah."

"How valiant of you. I'll take my chances," I snicker.

"Don't be stupid, Rachel. You underestimate her power. She'll destroy you and everyone you care about."

Lukas comes closer now, and I wonder if he thinks he's truly helping me. If he actually cares about me.

"Look I know what this is. You don't have to pretend anymore that this is anything more. I know you need me to survive, but I can hold my own."

Lukas gathers into me into his arms, but I no longer find comfort in his scent. His touch however, still lingers deliciously. He captures my lips and hungrily invades, leaving me breathless, but not before he tugs at my bottom lip and quickly, nips. I gasp aas he let's go, and watch as he flicks his tongue, tasting my blood.

"When was the last time you fed?"

I don't look at him, but he doesn't let go.

"When you took me to that,  uh, restaurant, " I whisper.

Lukas shakes his head, "Rachel, you need to feed regularly to help your body adapt."

"Then I won't be a Fresh-blood anymore," I counter.

Lukas inhales, "You will be. But you'll be so weak-"

"So that you can't take me! You need my strength! Well I won't let you have it, Lukas!"

"You have to listen to me!"

"I don't want to do this anymore-" I rip myself from his arms.

"Michelle!"

I stop dead in my tracks, slowly angling my disbelief towards a distressed Lukas, who now stands with a look of anguish and fangs bared. He whirls, slamming his fist against the lockers so violently that I flinch.

"Rachel, I swore to protect you. I have never broken my word. If I don't honor my word-"

"Then I'll end up just like your dead girlfriend" I seethe.

I'm furious, every nerve ending within my body set on fire.

"The plan was never to get know me. It was manipulation all along. Sure, take the fucked up bitch of the school and use her to your advantage. Do you think I asked for this? Jesus christ! If you could just be wiped off the face of the Earth along with that psycho you managed to drag here - my life would be a fucking cake walk!"

I'm panting, my chest heaving and in the chaos of it all, I match Lukas with two biting fangs sharpened and ready. His eyes are blazing, watching my every move, releasing a primal urge from deep within. It's carnal and overwhelming, unlike anything I have ever felt before.

Lukas stalks towards me, his tousled dark locks slicked at the sides, jaw clenched.

"Don't you ever talk about her that way. Yes, she died because of Leah. But if you'd care to pull your head out of your ass then I could help you! You have a gift, and I want you to keep it. Mate with me. I'll show you the world, I'll keep you safe, and we can leave this place."

"What makes you think I hate Lidell so much, it's where my family and friends are."

"What friends?" Lukas scoffs, his fangs receding.

I blink, taking a step back, his words painfully harsh.

"How do you know about that?"

Lukas suddenly composes himself, "Nothing. It was just...I'm sorry."

I stomp right up to him, shoving him, "Tell me!"

"Rachel-"

"Tell me!"

"Miss. Clarrens! My office now!"

We both snap towards Principal Ryden, who looms over our conversation angrily. My fangs disappear, and I want to say something more but Ryden clears his throat loudly over his enormous gut. 

"This isn't over," I hiss.

Lukas gathers himself, "Wouldn't dream of it", and leaves in the other direction.