Sibling Rivalry

I’m not sure when it happened, but somewhere along the line sleep overcame me. It was a peaceful sleep, not plagued with dreams of, what I guessed, was my life before my memories were sealed. At the same time I wished I could see them. All day they had been gone, and it kind of felt like a piece of me was missing.

As my eyes fluttered opened, I sat up and looked around the room. It was dark and the sound of the music could barely be heard through the walls. Blake was laying on the seat across from me, one arm hanging off the side and the other over his eyes. Sathe, Zyten and his brother, Dakkone, were no where to be seen. Neither was Lance.

My heart leaped when I realized that. Had they done something to him while we had fallen asleep? Shoving the thought from my mind I stood up, walking over to the door and slowly opening it. Peering down the small hall I found it empty, but the sound of voices in one of the rooms caught my attention. Though I knew it probably wasn’t the best idea, I crept down the hall, pausing at a door that was slightly ajar.

Inside I could make out Sathe’s voice, and then Zyten’s. Moving a bit closer, I looked through the tiny crack and into the room, trying to figure out what was happening inside. I froze when I was finally able to see. Zyten was sitting beside Sathe, a small grin on his face as they talked. On the other side of Sathe was Lance, thought something seemed wrong with him. It was as if his body was acting without his mind.

Again, I pushed closer, trying to get every detail. Lance’s eyes seemed far away, like he was lost in his own little world. I watched as he leaned closer, Sathe running a hand down his cheek and placing a long kiss on the other. What in the world was going on?

My attention had been so focused on what was going on in front of me, I didn’t realize someone had come up behind me. A hand was placed on my shoulder, which caused me to jump and let out a small yelp as I spun around. I then lost my balance and stumbled backwards, right through the door, and landed on my back staring at the back of my eyelids. This couldn’t be good.

Cautiously, I opened my eyes and looked at the figure that loomed over me. It didn’t take but a split second for me to realize it was Dakkone, and every muscle in my body tensed. I was in a room with two demons, Sathe and a Lance that wasn’t himself. Scenarios flashed through my head, none of which ended good for me. “I didn’t mean to scare you,” said Dakkone, holding a hand down to me.

I heard a small laugh from somewhere behind me as I sat up and took Dakkone’s hand and got to my feet. Glancing back I found it to be coming from Zyten, who seemed quite amused with it all. “You’re gonna scare her to death doing that, Brother,” he said, then turned his attention to me. “Did you have a nice sleep?”

Nervously, I nodded. My eyes then fell on Lance again, and Sathe beside him. She didn’t look very pleased with the intrusion, and I couldn’t blame her. As much as I wanted to ask what she had done to Lance, I found myself unable to mutter even the simplest word. “Maybe so, but at least I’m not the one seducing a Guardian,” replied Dakkone, his gaze on Sathe.

My eyes fell on Sathe, thoughts swirling through my mind. Seducing? I was trying to figure out what he meant by that. That didn’t seem like what it was to me. The look in Lance’s eyes wasn’t one I had ever seen before. Didn’t seducing rely on the lust of the one being seduced? “And you blame me for that?” said Zyten, obviously not liking what his brother was implying.

“You’re just as much to blame as Sathe. After all, you’re only sitting right beside her. Why don’t you both cut the crap already. We all know help comes at a cost when Sathe is involved, though you failed to mention that to everyone. Convenient, huh, Brother? Seems you’ve already decided on the payment, and yet it’s not yours to give away at all.”

My eyes were going from one to the other, taking in every word I could. Had Zyten really played us all along as Dakkone was saying, or was it the other way around. I couldn’t pull my eyes away from  the look on Zyten’s face. The one that showed he was very unpleased with his brother at the moment. “Do you really think now is the time to talk about this? And since when were you on the side of the angels? Last time I checked they were hunting you down like a dog,” stated Zyten.

“Now is as good a time as ever, and who said I’m on the side of the angels? They are hunting me, and have been for almost two centuries now. But that’s right. You’ll do anything to get Sathe’s attention, won’t you? You always were pathetic that way, Zyten. Letting your emotions and feelings lead you,” said Dakkone, shaking his head slightly and letting out a small sigh. “I guess it’s to be expected by someone who couldn’t even defend the one they loved.”

Zyten glared at Dakkone, getting to his feet with clenched fists. “Don’t you dare bring her into this. This has nothing to do with her,” he growled.

Dakkone, on the other hand, seemed greatly amused by the whole thing. I didn’t have time to think as I listened to their exchange of words. My eyes glanced at Sathe now and then, and she didn’t seem to be liking it, either. “Oh, but it has everything to do with her, and you know it. Now why don’t you sit down and shut up,” he said, a grin crossing his face. “unless you wanna do something about it.”

It was silent for a minute and I could feel the tension in the air growing tremendously. Next thing I knew I was pushed to the side, nearly losing my balance. When my focus was regained I saw Dakkone still standing where he was, Zyten’s fist caught in his left hand and a smirk on his face. If looks could kill, Dakkone would have been dead with the look his brother was giving him. “As I said before, pathetic. You can’t even manage to land one blow. I bet even the girl could do that, and her powers aren’t even awakened yet,” taunted Dakkone.

“Shut up!” Zyten shouted, bringing his other fist up towards Dakkone’s face.

Again, it was caught in his brother’s hand. “Strike two. Wanna try again, or are you gonna admit defeat and back off?”

Zyten didn’t respond. Instead he brought his leg around in an attempt to catch Dakkone off guard and land a blow. It ended with his brother letting both of his fists go, and at the same time kicking him in the chest. The impact sent Zyten flying back into the wall with a very loud bang, and I swore I heard something crack. The noise made me wince a bit.

When I looked at Sathe again I found her grinning a bit, yet the look of dislike was still on her face. Dakkone walked over to his brother, who was just pulling himself up from the ground where he had fallen. No sooner had he regained his balance, he was pinned against the wall by his neck, much like Dakkone had done to Jake earlier. “See what happens when you let your feelings and emotions cloud your judgment? You shouldn’t have been taken down so easily, and yet here you are. Get it through that thick head of yours, Zyten,” he said, then let go and turned to walk away. “I suggest you rethink your payment to Sathe before the Grim Reaper decides your time has come,” he commented.

My chest tightened when he said that name. It was something I was supposedly called, though I still wasn’t sure if I really was the Angel of Darkness. Cautiously I looked over at Zyten, whose head was down and fists still clenched. I went to take a step towards him, to make sure he was ok, but then thought better of it. “We should go,” said Dakkone as he stopped beside me.

After one last glance at Zyten and Sathe, who seemed to be letting the spell wear off Lance, I nodded and turned to follow Dakkone.