2. Secrets and Lies

2. SECRETS AND LIES

It took some time for me to convince Nan that moving to France to live with her daughter and son-in-law wasn’t as much of an absurd prospect as she first believed. Sure, she could have stayed by the farm, though I didn’t feel it was right for her to be living alone. We both knew she would eventually feel lonely. It was for this reason she soon came to agree with my proposed argument.

As I suspected, travelling via the Chunnel was not going to be an enjoyable journey. Nan was still raw with emotion, hardly speaking a word. It wasn’t guaranteed, but maybe the distraction of a jigsaw puzzle would make her remaining two hours slightly more bearable.

Pulling down my suitcase from the luggage compartment above, I carefully opened the box ensuring no pieces of the dismembered teddy bear were tipped out, never to be found again.

For as long as I’ve known her, Nanny Olive was always the type of person who would use the border pieces to guide her way into the centre. I sat there beside her and watched as she rummaged through the box of two-hundred parts, failing to find more than two corners. Nan slowly lifted up the tray of cardboard, attempting to locate the remaining two. ‘They’re some missing and a few others look as through they’ve been snacked on.’ 

There was only one explanation that instantly came to mind. ‘Dublin’s probably mistaken them for his dinner.’ I wasn’t sure whether to feel guilty or attempt to stop myself from laughing. ‘Sorry.’

Surprisingly Nan seemed more amused than disappointed. ‘Remember when you’d bring Dublin over and during tea Albert would sneak his greens under the table to feed him?’ she lightly chuckled. ‘If that cheeky bugger knew that carrots were good for your eye sight he would have had them years ago. At least Dublin has twenty-twenty vision.’  

I smiled, appreciating her subtle sense of humour. Any lame jokes were welcome at this low point of someone’s life. 

While I assisted Nan down the carriage steps, I caught a glimpse of my reflection through the window. My hair looked similar to that of a bee hive, resembling someone whose only recently hopped out of bed. Horrified, I sat with Nan on a nearby seat and attempt to make myself look slightly more presentable. Leaning down I put my hand in the front pocket of my red canvas tote, hoping to find something of use. Despite there being no brush, using my two grey hair-bands I began to create loose plaits, eventually having one on either side.

‘Isn’t Andre meant to be picking us up?’ Nan asked as I began to search for my phone wondering the same.

‘Yes Olive, he is.’

I could recognise that distinct French accent from anywhere. ‘Dad you’re late!’ I teased as he pulled me towards him and gently kissed the side of my head.

Without asking for it, he then took both our bags while also directing us towards the car.  ‘Jackie’s really looking forward to seeing you girls.’

As the three of us walked up to the front door, I could hear Mum run down the stairs in time to greet us. From the outside, my parent’s townhouse didn’t appear to be the most glamorous, yet its simplistic interior design always won me over. It was certainly better than any nursing home. Nan was in for a treat.

Quickly opening the door, Mum spread out her arms, anticipating what looked to be a much needed hug. She was smiling, though I could tell she was holding back a flood of tears. Awaiting my turn, I stood and watched as Nan latched himself on her daughter, feeling just as distraught. It almost looked as though their reunion was frozen in time.