Chapter 15 - Part III

BUT SHE WANTED IT TO BE true. She wanted a relationship with a dad with no baggage, a clean slate. Too bad. Want in one hand… Lizzie had heard the explanation all her life. “Mom said it was drugs and drinking. You left because you couldn’t leave the war behind and have a normal family life.”

There was another long silence before her father answered. “Is that what she told you?”

“Yeah. Not what happened?” Lizzie asked.

“There are always at least two points of view in any relationship,” he said, evading the question. “Someday, I’ll tell you my side. But not today. And not on the phone. Doesn’t really matter now. At Amistad I’m— I was a fish & game guy, kind of like I was in Washington before you were born. But here I was a manager, kept fish stocked for sports fishermen. Not a lot of need anymore.”

“Dad?” The word Dad still sounded strange in her mouth. “Do you want me to call you something else?”

“No. Dad is lovely.”

Lizzie wondered how she could sit here, talking on the phone as if they had a relationship. She wanted one. And he was the only real family she had left. “How long does it take to get to Texas?”

“If you’ve got two drivers and you drive through the night only about two days, but really, with one driver, probably at least a week.”

I could be talking to him in person in a week! Then old tapes reasserted themselves. “I don’t know. Maybe it’s a bad idea.”

“There is some mighty pretty country between here and there.” His voice sounded positive.

Lizzie sat up. “We could meet in the middle. I’d like a road trip.”

“Whoa. No. You stay in Bellingham. I’ll come to you.”

“I need to get out of Bellingham.” Lizzie wanted to tell him about everything that had happened. But not tonight.

“We have no idea how safe the roads are, what conditions. How long have you been driving?”

“I’m learning. I’ll bring my friends. Zach’s a great driver.”

“You don’t know how to drive?” His tone of voice had darkened. “The roads might not be—”

“But everybody’s dead. It’s a great time to learn to drive. What’s half-way?”

“Salt Lake City, but honey. Eliza— Uh, Lizzie—”

“Honey is fine. Or Lizzie. But you can call me Elizabeth, too. If you want to.”

“I’d like that. Elizabeth, a cross-country trip under normal conditions is no picnic.”

“Please, Daddy?” Lizzie heard her voice. What am I asking his permission for?

“Can we talk about this tomorrow?”

“As long as you help me figure out how to do it.”

His breath escaped like he’d given up fighting about it. “Okay. We need to have a plan.”

“Oh, and Daddy, I have a friend, Jess, in San Angelo. Used to live in Bellingham. Can you bring her up here? Her family’s all dead.”

“Yes. We still need a plan.”

“We’ll have one. Thanks, Daddy. G’night.”

“Goodnight, Elizabeth.”

Lizzie sat there in the dark. She hadn’t noticed the room getting darker. Through the skylight, she could see the first stars of the night coming out. An evening star, one of the planets, sparkled brighter than the others. In the big picture window, the waxing moon peeked over the mountains over the lake. It looked like a cold night. She lay there, basking in the warmth of a direction, a new focus in life, a reason to be.

She pulled out her phone and punched in Jess’ number.

It rang once and then Jess picked up, “Lizzie? What time is it?”

“I don’t know. Did you make it into town?”

“Yeah,” Jess sighed. “Found some people. It’s okay.”

“You want to come to Bellingham?”

“Hell, yes.”

“Well, listen to you Miss Suddenly Profane.”

“Ef you,” Jess laughed. “How?”

“My dad. He’s alive. In Texas. He’s going to pick you up.”

“Oh, my god. You’re not kidding?”

Lizzie smiled listening to Jess gush, a rare occurrence in all their years together. “No. I’m not.”

“Yes. Please. When?”

“Soon. I’ll give him your number.”

“Oh, Lizzie. I can’t wait to see you.”

“Me, too. See you, that is. I’ll call you tomorrow, okay?”

“Yeah. Aren’t you glad you didn’t kill yourself?”

“Yeah. Good night, Jess.” There was a tap on the door. “Yes?” The phone connection ended.

“It’s Zach. Can I come in?”

“Yeah.” The huskiness in her voice startled her.

Zach came in, shutting the door softly behind him. “Hey.”

“Hey.” Lizzie could see a thousand questions in his eyes. She didn’t have that many answers. “We’re going on a road trip.”