Chapter 2

Man In Manners

-Chapter 2-

"Whoo!" Marcus yelled holding up two shots in the air as two girls danced around him. I laughed when he took a shot and most of it dribbled down his chin and onto his shirt.

A girl, well i should say woman because it was more accurate walked over to me with a smile. She was wearing a red dress that was just right, hugged her curves in all the right places and left a lot to the imagination. She had full red lips, dark black hair and sharp brown eyes. Intelligent eyes.

"Hi." She said, smiling up at me. It wasn't seductive, but it still made me want her. That smile was radiant. But i could see through the facade she was putting on as soon as she got close enough for me to realize who she was.

"Hello." I greeted, taking a sip of the whiskey that was in my hand. The music blasted around us, vibrating and wild. There was strobe lights flickering over head making things look like it was moving in slow motion.

"I heard it was your birthday." She said, peering up at me with wide eyes.

"And i heard you're a reporter." I replied, smirking down at her when she gave me a shocked expression. She took a step back, her face lighting up in a blush.

"Sweet heart i don't get where i am without knowing who all the rats are." I replied chuckling when she looked quite pissed off at me.

"Who are you calling a rat?!" She snapped, crossing her arms. Her eyes transformed from wide and innocent to cold and calculating.

"Well i know one when i see one darling. Let me guess. You planned on sleeping with me, going through my phone, checking my e-mail, and such before leaving and exposing all my secrets to the world?" I asked raising an eyebrow.

Her eyes betrayed her feelings. Caught.

"Goodbye." I said curtly before turning around and walking into the crowd of people. I pushed past the sweaty bodies grinding on each other, making out and doing vulgar movements.

"Marcus! I am leaving now!" I shouted over the music, he was to drunk to care that i was bailing on my 'Birthday Party' and nodded his head.

Walking out of there and into the cool nights air i took a deep breathe of the cities air. It smelled of car gas, cigarette smoke, and garbage with a hint of hot dog and fries. Once you lived in a city for 19 years out of 26 than the smell is almost un-noticeable.

"Taxi!" I shouted, whistling at the end. The taxi pulled up beside me, a man in his late fifties at the oldest was driving.

"Where 'an i take ya sir?" He asked, glancing at me from the mirror.

I gave him the address of my apartment and off we went. The lights of the city surrounding us, the honking of cars, and the shouts of angry drivers or street walkers.

"A fine day we had today aye sir?" The man said, his mouth streaching into a large grin.

"Yes it was a fine day." I replied absentmindedly.

"So you goin' to meet yer family at home?" He asked as we stopped at a red light. That got my attention.

"Why would you think that?" I questioned, genuinely curious as to what his answer would be.

"Yer old 'nuff now aren't ya? Not married? No kids?" He asked, raising an eyebrow at me through the mirror.

"...Actually I've never had anyone special in my life since high school. To busy." I replied, looking out the window just as a couple, a smiling, hand holding, laughing couple walked by.

"Yer never to busy for Love! Why that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard! I met my wife when i was around yer age! Have six kids now! All grown up yer know! At the time i had three jobs! and 'ad to look after me brothers. But i still had time for me old wife." He rambled, a spark in his eyes as he mentioned his family and wife.

I stayed quiet, thinking it over.

I was 26 now and had no romance in my life. Not since Lixy Burk back in my home town in my teen years. At one point i had thought i loved her, i never wanted to be apart from her for one second.

I was totally whipped.

She had me wrapped around her little finger, with her blonde hair, blue eyes and baby face. I even proposed one night, told her it was a promise ring and in the future i would marry her.

To heck with my fathers business! Ill stay here and we'll get married! I had thought, but it never did happen. My father up and moved us because he had an opportunity to expand his company and make it much more profitable, and bigger.

Then he passed away two years ago, leaving the company to me instead of my eldest brother Richard or my mother. But after he passed she had insisted in living at a home. Her being 65 she said she couldn't live by herself or she would forget things.

So i helped find her a suitable home where she was well taken care of.

"We're here now!" The taxi driver announced, bringing me from my thoughts. I handed him a bill not bothering to look at how much it was before exiting and heading into the building i have called home for the past seven years.

I unlocked the door and headed to the elevator where Thomas awaited inside. He was the buildings elevator worker as you could say.

"Hello Mr. Scott. 30th floor?" He questioned even though he knew the answer already.

"Yes Thomas." I replied distractedly, still thinking about what the old man had said.

I am getting pretty old, maybe it was time to settle down? Focus on finding a girl and getting married, having children and buying an actual house rather than a two bedroom apartment over looking the city.

Now that i come to think of it, that was exactly what i wanted. I wanted to have that, a family to call my own, babies made of my DNA, and a house that felt like a home rather than something to show off.

I wanted to wake up seeing someone in my arms, to hold someone through the night, to have someone to talk to and have the house full of laughter and screaming as little kids that looked like myself ran around.

I wanted a family.

Laughing with disbelief, i stepped out of the elevator and went to my apartment. I might have to let Marcus take over the company for a while, while i try find that future i now ached for.

Just for little while of course.

It was time to settle down.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hiiiiiiiiii!

Vote and Comment! :D