Hunting Shadows (Chapter 3)

Start from the beginning

When I walked back in the room Airlia was in the same spot she was when I left her, still observing my living room. She heard me shut the door and turned around to look at me with that dazziling smile. "I like what you did to your room."

I thought I was going to fall over. "You... What?" Never in my life had I heard those words come from another person. 

She smiled. "Everyone here is different, for their own reasons. We don't question the way you live. That's whats so great about the Shadow School. But if you don't mind we should get going. Hunter James will be very upset if I don't bring you down soon, she's impatient."

I was too shy to ask her what she meant my hunter So I went with a nod as I followed her out the door.

Airlia had the same air that Zane created, one that made me like her. She didn't question my gothic clothes or my attitude as I followed her down the long hallway. Observing her I noticed that she dressed like how a popular girl would. Clothes I knew all too well.

That lacy top probably itched her badly, but it looked good, and that's all that mattered when you were popular. She had em boarded jeans, similar to the ones I used to have.  And she walked like she was a run away model.

I smiled as I followed her down the stairs and to the desk clerk. Airlia strode up to the lady sitting at the desk. Closer obvervation told me that it was the same one that I had seen last night when Zane brought me in here.

"I brought her." Airlia said as she pointed to me. The lady looked at me and I found myself staring at the floor again.

Hunter James cleared her throat. "Ms. Baxley I have your class schedule here. I figured you probably would want it. And knew you would be up this early at night... I mean late in the day. The nocturnal schedules are confusing around here."

I nodded in agreement. They definitly were.

Airlia laughed. "Well come up here, don't be shy, Hunter James doesn't bite. Luckily." My mind lingered on the last part. Luckily? What did she mean by that?

I walked over to Hunter James, grabbing the small paper out of her hands. Curiosity got the best of me as I read the paper.

I could feel Airlia look over my shoulder, causing me to shift away from her. Her kindness was still a shock to me, a shock that I hope I wouldn't get used to.

Chemistry

Algebra 2

English III

History

And to my surprise there was more. Usually it ended after four classes and the next ones were strange.

Body Building

Hunting technique class

Hunter training

Combat class

I looked up at Airlia with a questioning look. "What the hell is with the hunting classes? Do you guys specialize in hunting animals?"

Airlia looked a little offended. "Something like that." I was about to demand her to tell me what was going on when she interrupted me. "Here let me show you where all your classes are going to be. This school can get a little confusing."

She linked her arm through mine which I tried to get out of, she didn't budge at my protests. The feel of her muscles made me want to escape even more, but like earlier she wouldn't let me. We walked outside into the sunlight, I could feel its warmth but the cold wind stopped me from enjoying the sun's warm embrace.

Around the school I saw small patches of snow on the ground. It was early December, and in Washington that meant snow, especially since we were in the mountains. I focused my full attention on not slipping on the cobblestone pathway. Airlia didn't seem to be bothered by it as she continued to walk with that perfectionist way of hers.

"So I heard you have Hunter Rainier as your mentor." Airlia said as she led me into a fairly large two stroy building. It was just as nice as the rest of the school seemed to be.

"Huh? Oh Zane. Yeah he's my" I tried to say the strange word. "Mentor." Why couldn't they just say teacher? It was an easier word to say.

She laughed. "We call all adults here by titles, its out of respect, and a traditional way of ours." She talked with an easy coolness that made me feel better about her. "Your lucky you got Hunter Rainier. Not just because of his good looks, but because he is one of the best Hunters we have here."

I gave her a sidelong glance. "Don't tell me, he can kill a lion with his bare hands." Being around Airlia made the old Blaire personality spark. She reminded me a lot of myself when I was popular. Something we already had in common.

That earned me one of her good looking smiles. "Not exactly. Lions would be easier to kill." I looked at her in shock. It must had shown on my face. "Trust me."

I was starting to not trust her, she seemed like a crazy teenager, who's head was filled with fantasies. I quickly pushed the thought aside, she seemed like a nice girl, and reminded me of what I used to be like.

She stopped in front of a closed off room. "This is where your first four classes will be. They will all be taught by different teachers."

"Whoa wait. You mean I am going to be stuck in the same room for four hours?" I was starting to hate the school again.

She laughed as she opened the door to a hallway. Oh. The hallway had several doors that went all the way down to the other wall. Like the dorm's hallways this one was entirely made out of dark wood.

Airlia walked past me and to one door way. "This is your Chemistry class." She moved to the next door that was across from my Chemistry one. "This will be your history." She continued on down the hallway until she was done naming off all my normal classes. They were spaced apart but easy to remember.

She showed me the rest of the school, which was just as confusing as the first half. Everything seemd to be inside except for a field with certian obsticals scattered all over it.

"What is that for?" I pointed to the field. It would look like an ordinary field, except that it had equipment that I had never seen on it.

"Hmm? Oh that's something you'll have to learn with Hunter Rainier." She walked off from me, and I found myself trying to catch up to her. She didn't say anything else and I sighed, clearly giving up.

As we walked I noticed that she was leading me back to the dorm rooms. "What about these" I looked down at the paper in my hand. "Hunting classes?"

"That" Airlia said as she opened the door to the dorms lobby. "Is something Hunter Rainier will show you." She walked away from me and disappeared through a set of doors. Great more waiting.

*

*

*

*