Chapter Twenty-Two - Mate

Chapter Twenty-Two – Mate

"You brought him here?" Darius demanded.

After our... session, Darius and I had returned upstairs to see the others acting as though their Omega of Omega's hadn't just ran through the house in half-form to get to me. They pretended that there weren't claw marks littering the walls. And they pretended that there was a front door, that it wasn't laying in several pieces over the ground and hanging on the couple of hinges that remained attached to the doorway.

A front door where my mum stood in it's way repairing it. It was strange to see the magic that I was half of do some form of good. So far, apart for the usual greetings and mum's hystericalness of me getting catpured, I hadn't had a chance to ask my mum anything about what I really was.

Instead, we were now in an office where Azriel was telling Darius' everything she'd learnt. Of course, that hadn't happened yet since the moment Darius had entered the room, he'd headed straight for Azriel's mate's neck, only to be stopped by Azriel herself saying that Nathaniel – who was now awake and tied to a chair by cloth and silver – the son of the Beta of Kalb Flow, was her mate.

"We are more in danger with Zarah being here than Nathaniel," Azriel growled back.

I turned quickly to my mum... to see her unaffected by the growl. She smiled and pointed to her ears. "Silver earplugs," she shouted, Darius and Azriel turned to face her at her shout. "Stops their growling turning my hair white with stress!"

My mother is so normal, yeah, and the Easter Bunny is really twenty-feet tall. I rolled my eyes, turning back to the two Omega's. "He's here now, nothing more we can do, and if you kill him, Azriel will kill me."

"No," Darius growled low. "She won't."

"She will if I let her."

Darius' shocked gaze turned to me. "You would die for him? He's the enemy."

I shook my head. "Does he look dangerous right now? No, because he's wrapped in silver, and if he was important to Kalb Flow, they'd be here already."

"Actually," Nathaniel started. "They'll probably shake your hands for getting rid of me."

Ouch. I turned back to Darius who turned away to Azriel. "What did you find? Other than your mate."

"They are planning on opening the portal on a beach near Treen in Cornwall," Azriel started. "That way, there is a big open to the ocean, and plently of land in the other direction. The wind creatures can go wherever as they can fly. Their only concern is are the fire creatures. But, with all the creatures about to be unleashed, I suspect they'll be making their own fire."

Darius nodded. "So we have a where. We know who they want," he glanced at me. "We only need to know when."

Azriel shook her head. "I'm sorry. Only the highest ranking wolves know that."

"Not true," Nathaniel pipped up. "Dad's a blabber mouth when he gets drunk. They want to sacrifice Zarah on the twenty-first of June."

"Why then?" Darius demanded.

"It's the Summer Solstice," Nathaniel replied simply. "The nearest day of power that will be followed with a month of two Full moons where the creatures will be most powerful. It will allow them to return to what they were a hell of a lot faster than if there was only one full moon. And the moon during the Summer Solstice will be a Waxing Moon, a growing moon."

"Thanks," I said after a moment, when no one else seemed inclined.

"Kalb Flow isn't due to meet up again until the Summer Solstice," Azriel added a moment later as realisation struck. "Kalb Flow works in several locations, on the Summer Solstice, for this, they are all due to meet up."

"Then that's when we'll attack. It's not too far away. We'll use the time until then to prepare."

"They'll be coming here before then," Nathaniel warned, making the room pause. "They need Zarah. Or another like her at least."

The growl from Darius made even my mum – with her silver earplugs in – take several steps back. Words that I'd thought weeks ago returned. I knew that if I ever threatened this bond, I, or they, would pay dearly. And I had a feeling that whatever happened to I, or they, would become the worst Omega attack in history by the Omega of Omega's. And I had a feeling that those thoughts were probably the most to come true thoughts I'd ever had since meeting my Omega mate.

Suddenly, Darius was turning and picking me up, then on using his magic, my body went limp. "What are you doing!?" I demanded, at least I can still talk. Unlike last time. But damn it! I hated feeling like jelly!

"Your not going anywhere," Darius replied, turning for the door.

"Well, I hadn't exactly planned on leaving! Put me down!"

He turned back to the room. "Azriel, you'll stay also, along with your mate."

As he turned back around, I saw Azriel snarl behind his back. At least I had an ally in this.

"Mum!" I called, trying to move and failing miseriably.

"He's right, Zarah. You need to stay here. My friends and I will go and help your mate in your stead."

"What? What friends? Why are you agreeing with him? And I swear to God Darius, you touch that doorknob and you'll remain mateless!"

I wasn't sure what it was, but as mum starting speaking words that I didn't understand, I felt my eyes shimmer. I whipped my hand up "No!" – and I did, I moved, even though Darius hadn't stopped his magic, I was able to move. Score one for me!

Mum yelped as she was thrown back. Her chanting stopped, she stayed where she'd been thrown on the floor, dazed for a moment, until she lifted herself onto her elbows to stare at me in surprise. Struggling out of Darius' arms, he let me go in his own surprise. Crouching near my mum, I felt the shimmer cover my eyes again as I fell into sitting next to her, tears blurred my vision. "What am I, mum?"

I forgot everything but this one question. One question that I so desperately wanted answering. One flick, and I threw my own mother across the room without meaning too. "What am I?"

She sighed, looking away. But then she met my eyes. "I suppose I've kept this secret from you long enough..."

Vote? Comment? Thanks!