4 - Basketball

4 – Basketball

As the afternoon announcements played over the intercom, students waited anxiously for the final bell to ring. I sat in the front row of my Science class, twirling my mechanic pencil around my fingers. I had my elbow sitting on the desk, with my chin resting in the palm of my hand.

Science is the one class that I don’t care too much for. Math is my favorite, Science is my least. It’s kind of weird, seeing that math coexist within science, but that’s the only time I like it. Other than those times, not so much.

My classmates weren’t even listening to the announcements; they’re too busy talking amongst themselves. The teacher, Mrs. Crow, just finished passing out a homework sheet. “That’s all of the announcements we have for you this afternoon. Have a great rest of the day,” Principal McFerry spoke over the intercom.

As soon as he was done, the final bell rung, signaling the end of the day. Like the room was on fire, students quickly rushed out of the classroom. I, on the other hand, took my precious time. I gathered my belongings and headed out the class.

I had to bump and shove my way through crowds of students whom decided to stay near their lockers and chat. There were a lot of people saying “watch where you’re going!” and “excuse you!” my way, although I’d already told them excuse me while I was walking pass. I guess they just didn’t hear me.

Anyway, when I finally made it outside, the heat hit me like a punch in the face. I felt as though I instantly started sweating as soon as the sun kissed my skin. But, I’m not going to complain. Want to know why? Because I’m going to miss this heat when it gets freezing cold, so I’m going to luxuriate in this as much as I can.

I looked to the far left of the school and see all the school buses lined up, allowing students to load on. On the far right of the school is for the parking lot for those kids fortunate enough to have a car. Good for them. I, unfortunately, don’t have a car. My parents work decent enough money to buy me one, but they both agreed within themselves that they don’t think I’m in need of one as of this point in my life.

I mean, it’s true that I don’t have a job so I don’t technically have to be somewhere other than school. Plus, school is in walking distance, so close a walking distance that I can’t even get picked up by the school bus. But let’s say I wanted to go out with some friends, and said friend doesn’t have a car either, that would mean that we’d have to bother our parents to take us somewhere.

Well, sometimes anyway. Back when I lived with Mom, my friends and I would always catch the city bus and go places; mall, movies, creameries, you know, basic places a teenage girl would go.

As I’m walking off school property, I suddenly get the need to take a stroll. I guess I don’t feel like going straight home at this moment. I know of a park a few blocks away, maybe I’ll go there and see the sights. Maybe I can have Kelsey meet me there.

I met her, Kelsey, three summers ago when my dad and her mom were dating. It didn’t work out for our parents, but we still managed to stay close. We’d talk over the phone and text each other every so often throughout the school year, then we’d finally see each other when summer starts.

She doesn’t live in his neighborhood, so she doesn’t go to the same school that I’m going to. But hey, at least we’d get to see each other more. She actually has a car of her own so it’ll be easier for us to go places.

I continue walking until I finally reach the park. There aren’t many people here, except for a basketball game taking place. I look around the park and spot a few benches lined up every car length away from each other. This park in particular is quite large. There’s a huge, freshly cut field separating the kid’s playground from the street.