Chapter 7

7

In the heavy traffic, Lance took a long glance at the passing people. All were moving, fast. Well, except him and the few other cars along his side of the lane.

When he’d pullover to his destination it took him fifteen minutes just to get through the security gate. Once he was inside he pulled into an empty parking space near the BMW. The chauffeur stood next to the BMW pinned him a look, a look with utterly curiosity.

His 2012 beat-up Mustang looks like garbage beside the newly polished BMW, that’s the chauffeur must have been thinking. Lance let out a frustrated sigh.

A tap on the window alarmed him.

“The chairman would see you now young master.”

Lance nodded and turned off the ignition. He slid off his leather seat, closed the door and waited for the butler finished off ranting instructions through his microphone. When he was done, the butler indicated Lance to follow him.

Inside of the mansion, Lance was feeling a little light headed. The old man wouldn’t summon him in there for no reason. There must be a very important reason for his attendance. To think they don’t really get along for the past few years.

Was it too late to put a dent on more than a decade misunderstanding? Maybe, he’ll give the old man a shot. After all, it’s better late than never right?

The butler halt in front of a huge oak door, and knocked a couple of times. An impatient replied echoed into the room, a voice reminded him how cold the winter air was.

“Lance,” He started, in a low intimidating voice that was too familiar.

Lance didn’t reply instead he just politely accepted the seat offered to him, and lowered himself on the fancy looking lounge.

“Son, how long are you planning on ignoring your one and only living relative?” his grandfather asks, not even hiding his displeasure.

Strike one, Lance counted inside his head. Everything in the place reminded him of his parents and their still unresolved death. It sickens him up to the soring point. One more strike and he’s out of there that for sure, he concluded.

The old man picked up Lance sudden change of mood. 

His grandfather stepped closer to Lance and touched his elbows. And for the first time in his entire life as far as he could remember, a flick of unfamiliar emotion appeared through those unexpressive orbs. “I know this place reminded you so much of your parents. I’m sorry about their death.” He said, sincerely.

Lance couldn’t help but flinched. Up until now, the talk of his deceased parents pulled a sudden pang, a dagger that cuts deep through his every being.  He clenched his fist into a ball, and took deliberate calming breaths. It has been always a sensitive issue as far as he was concern. He held his ground, shutting off all the horrible imaged of his parents death aside.

He didn’t leave yet, even though all his instincts told him so. Bad things happened, face it now or never? He told himself that he’ll have to face him, if not now, when? So, given the chance knocking in front of him, he grabs it hesitantly.

Hector studied his grandson under his hooded eyes. The boy looks terrified. Just like the night he was rescued from the kidnapers. His son and his daughter-in-law were left behind and held for ransom, as the negotiations were still on roll. Hector could vividly remember that night.  Inside of a rusting abandon cargo vessel, Lance was found like a cage animal starved, dehydrated, and bleeding to death.

At the age of seven, he had psychogenic or dissociative amnesia.  The young Lance was traumatized, to the point that the child was forced to delete those horrible episodes of his life due to physical and emotional shock. He experienced memory loss; a normal defense mechanism a person could developed to protect their selves from psychological damage.

The doctors said, dissociative amnesia, helps a person cope by allowing them to temporarily forget details of the event. A person will often suppress memories of a traumatic event until they are ready to handle them, which may never occur. Lance remembers everything aside from the moment they were abducted.

Hector thank god for its mysterious ways; at least the boy wouldn’t have constant reminder of the disturbing event of his life. They spend days in the hospital, and without a beat missing any updates regarding his sons abduction. Days had passed; weeks turned into months, yet no sign of his son and his daughter-in-law.

Until one day, their bodies were found mummified inside two sets of barrels. Perished, and left rotten in the dumped. The distinctive smell of human decay whiffed into the air as soon as the barreled was ripped opened.  Both the corpse internal organs have melted and liquefied. Such a cruel act that no sane person who has a right mind would do.

He banished his thoughts aside and glanced at Lance. He wanted to comfort him, yet he was afraid he’ll protest. He wanted to reach to him again and embraced him in his arms just like when he was still bairn. The young little lad who looked up to his grandfather with all the warmth and admiration was long gone, and was replaced with a young troubled man.

“When will you tell me what really happened?” Lance asked.

Hector rolled his lips into a thin line. “I don’t think you can handle the truth,” Was his grandfather’s short reply. “You seek for answers hidden inside the Pandora’s Box. You’ll never be ready for it son, trust me.” He added solemnly.

“Stop manipulating my mind for once! And, tell me the truth, I beg of you.” Lance pleaded, hopelessly.

He shook his head, firmly. “You’ll thank me one day for not telling you.” Hector said, he bent his head not wanting to revealed the mirrored pain they secretly shared.  

Tentatively, Lance stood and stormed out of the mansion.

Lance felt the blood drained from his face, and he dropped his head against the steering wheel to keep the anger at bay.

Why his grandfather wouldn’t utter a word how his parents died. And why did he fabricate their death with an accident that never had accrued. Why? He knew, he was long time ago searching for answers, yet his grandfather wouldn’t even dare tell him anything.

His memories tells the story differently, which one of his conflicted thoughts from the passed would he believed?