25 - Villain

Byron Flynn stared at the latticed wooden door as if he was counting the squares beneath the rice paper that was our only representation of privacy from the rest of the household.

I clutched Byron Flynn’s sinewy arm tight as we traversed the dark hallway of Sathariel’s house. He offered to carry me but I refused. Vehemently.

As we arrived in the common room, a few rowdy men were sitting cross-legged or lying on the woven mats lain on the floor. They were playing this board game with pieces that looked like white and black Mentos. The minute we stepped in, they all fell quiet, their eyes following us out to the door.

Byron Flynn sat me on the higher of the two-step stairs and hunkered down to slip a pair of woven sandals on my feet. No footwear allowed inside the house.

“The folks don’t readily acclimatize to outsiders, it appears,” he muttered quietly. “Had it been a mistake to assume that I may finally be able to make meaningful human relationships?”

“Well, you assumed to soon.”

With a sigh, Byron Flynn slid a hand over my shoulder and behind my waist to help me to my feet. Automatically, I anchored my arm on his shoulder. He faintly smelled of peanut butter. I guessed some things just wouldn’t change.

A warm mid-morning breeze swept the yard, brushing against the freshly-trimmed grass, making the millions of flowers of the weeping cherry trees hang on for dear life. Petals rained on us, liberating a subtle sweet smell. But before I could decide that life was great, I saw them.

Vincent had a crutch, his left leg in a cast, one arm over Luci’s shoulders as they both limped together towards the pillars heading to the never-ending stairs.

Luci’s girlish laugh lingered with the wind. “No, Vince. You are doing it completely wrong.”

Vincent raised a brow. Nevertheless, he was strangely uncomplaining. Either Lucy wasn’t noticing this or she just didn’t mind. It looked like she was having the time of her life.

“Advance the crutch and your left foot simultaneously. Then, take a step with your good leg,” said she with an encouraging smile.

I smirked.

If there was one thing Vincent hated, it was being told what to do. I would know. I tried. And he would always go ballistic about it. Now, if Luci’s cutesy antics could take it; that, I would love to see.

So I wasn’t a saint. Don’t judge.

Vincent’s rage would fall upon poor Luci. Any minute now… Any time now.

By some anomalous turn of events and to my very dismay, The Prince of Darkness was patiently doing everything Miss Sunshine told him to do. He must be real sick. Or maybe, I whacked him too hard on the head when I was rampage under Alessandra’s evil influences.

“Aramis?” Byron Flynn murmured unsurely. “You alright?”

My eyes involuntarily flitted to his face to the two and back. “Y-yeah.” I forced my facial muscles to twitch into a smile. “How can I not be alright?”

“Err… You’re nails are diggin’ into my skin?”

Quickly, I let go of him before I could realize that my knees were going to fail me. Good thing his reflexes were still considerably inhuman and he caught me.

“Sorry,” I said, keeping my voice down. “We should just go… get something to eat. I’m starving.”

Vincent and Luci were several yards away, but I didn’t want them to think I was spying on them during their alone time.