Chap. 1

I sat with my back against the brick wall, watching as a bird flew by overhead.

Birds were such interesting creatures. There were 1,000 different species worldwide, and they're believed to be evolved from theropod dinosaurs.

"Lee!" Warren's voice called, interrupting my thoughts.

My attention snapped over to him as he headed towards me.

"How far are you on your Geometry packet?"

I glanced down at the empty worksheet sitting on top of my open Geometry book.

"Uh..." I said, offering him a sheepish smile.

"You've been out here for two hours!" he pointed out, laughing.

"Did you see that bird?"

Warren glanced up towards the sky.

"Did you know that hummingbirds can fly backwards? In fact, hummingbirds at the smallest birds in the world, measuring at-"

"And now I see why your worksheet is blank," Warren interrupted, still laughing at me. "Come over to my dorm around 4 and we'll work on it together."

I nodded in agreement, already shoving my books into my backpack.

"Dustin will probably come too," he added.

"Okay," I said, with a shrug.

"I love how you're chill with the entire student population," Warren said, as I slung my backpack over my shoulder.

"Is it 2:00 yet?" I asked.

Warren stared at me for a couple of seconds.

"What?"

"It's 2:45."

Oh shit.

"You had a detention didn't you?"

I ignored him, taking off running towards Mrs. Hall's classroom.

She was still sitting at her desk when I whipped open the door, grading papers.

"You're 45 minutes late," she pointed out, without looking up from the paper she was currently grading.

"I'm sorry," I said, breathlessly. "I lost track of time."

She shook her head, looking up at me. "You need to start being more responsible Lee."

I nodded, hoping she'd let me serve my detention now.

The last thing I needed today was a meeting with Principal Wright and a phone call to Parker. Parker would honestly probably kill me.

"Take a seat."

I let out a sigh of relief, sliding into one of the empty desks in the classroom.

I began to drum my fingers on the desk, my knee bouncing up and down.

Detention is honestly the worst. I'd probably rather just get suspended.

"Would you like to help me?" Mrs. Hall asked.

My attention immediately snapped over to her, and I nodded.

"Here," she said, handing me a stack of papers and a gradebook. "Just enter the student's grade in this column next to their name."

Mrs. Hall was probably the only teacher on this entire campus that didn't hate me. Not that I hadn't given her plenty of reason to, she just seemed to be more tolerant of my outbursts and uncontainable energy than most.