04: The News That Spread Fast

Hi! Gif of Louis and Zayn shirtless on the side. You're welcome. 

Thank you all for the lovely comments on the last chapter. I may not reply to them all but I appreciate every single one of them. 

This chapter is kind of short. I apologise.

And that's all I have to say so...Enjoy!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The minute I woke up on the cold Tuesday morning I was dreading the day ahead. History with Mr. Cohen first period isn't very welcoming on a miserable, rainy, Tuesday morning. I got myself ready, slower than usual since I was trying to savour every second spent in my own home. My lunch was the same as yesterday, only this time I took extra care with it, since a squished sandwich isn't really that satisfying. I tie my hair up in a neat bun and straighten up my black blazer. I sling my heavy bag over my shoulders and push the front door open. 

                When I reach the school gates I can see that it's just going to be a perfectly normal day at school. There is no ultimate crisis occurring, or any news being spread. Instead of students running around everywhere, muttering things to each other, everyone is calmly entering the grounds and getting their textbooks for first period, like tame secondary school pupils. 

                Lani and Kate aren't in my sight. I decide not to wait for them because the first bell is due in less than a minute. I get to my locker, dial my combination, shove my bag into the bottom shelf and grab my unnecessarily large history course book. I walk through the crowded corridor, trying to achieve the task of arriving at Room 23 without knocking anyone over in the process.

                Just as I was walking past Room 21, almost at my destination, I'm stopped in my tracks. I feel a hand tap my shoulder and turn around to find Lani, clutching her History book to her chest.

                "Sorry I'm late. My brother was taking forever to get ready!" she explained as we slipped into the half-full classroom

                We took our seats in the second to last row and soon the classroom was full. Mr Cohen entered the classroom with a sour expression. He still must be getting over the whole incident with Freddie and the egg. He took a seat at his desk.

                "I expect you all to be nearly finished with your assignments on the Romans. They will be due when I see you next, which is on Thursday, I believe." he announced

                The class all groaned at the same time. People muttered things to the person sitting across from them, probably saying something among the lines of 'That's not fair.' or 'I can’t get it finished by then.' I haven't even began, so I doubt I'll be turning up on Thursday with five full pages of information on ancient Italians. 

                "But Mr. Cohen," Freddie started from the back of the room "You only gave it to us last Friday, meaning we only have six days to complete it, and now, there's only two of those six days left! Some of us haven't even started. Don't you think it's a little...unfair?" To be honest, Freddie looked like he hadn't had enough sleep. He had dark circles underneath his blue eyes and was almost lying on his pencil-case as if it was a pillow.

                "Enough, Freddie." said Mr. Cohen through gritted teeth "If any of you fail to give me your completed assignment by Thursday, you will lose marks. Fail to deliver it by Monday next week and you will receive detention."