Chapter Twenty-Five: Corny Summer Love Story

I placed on last pin on my hair before I gave my reflection an approving nod at my personal work. The thing about me, no matter how grand a red carpet event may be, I usually prefer doing my makeup and hair, knowing the people in the business this day, they’ll turn me into a walking barbie doll.

A knock on the door alerted Adam’s arrival and I gave him a small smile as he entered the room when I called him to.

“You look beautiful,” he compliment after a quick assessment of my overall outfit for the night. I grinned at his words as I twirled in front of him, the skirt of my dress swishing around as I did so, giving the sequins the perfect lighting for them to be accentuated.

I do thank my stylist for the outfits she always plan for me. I have yet to experience a dreaded wardrobe malfunction at the middle of an event.

“Thanks,” I said as I reached for my clutch, “Now Axel is picking me up in fifteen minutes, we need to get everything down.”

He gave me a thumb up as he started to pace around my room, wracking his head for the plan we have laid out earlier this morning, “You go have fun, while I go deal with your problems.”

I pouted at this and I crossed my arms over my chest, “If you put it like that, it makes me sound selfish.”

“But you are,” he teased, and I raised a brow. It only made him laugh harder but when my expression wasn’t faltering, he walked up to me and took a hold of my shoulders.

“Look, you’re stunning tonight,” he pointed out, “And I think you need a little break from your family drama, so go enjoy the premiere and I’ll talk to both of your parents and see what I can dig.”

My frown deepened as I registered his words. Even with me protesting about this idea, he seemed to take this up as a challenge, something he can’t back down from. The moment when I told him that I was going out this evening, it was like a light bulb appeared on top of his head.

Since he knew I was too bitter to face both my mom and my dad, he claimed that nothing will ever get fixed if I kept avoiding them. He volunteered to do some digging, knowing that I were anywhere near the area, I will just barge in without thinking and once again, a new problem will surface.

The event was his idea to keep me away from blowing up again, he said that it would be a good distraction, knowing that I would be too busy being in an awkward situation with Axel instead of thinking about what’s happening.

“I don’t even want to go there,” I huffed, fidgeting with the hem of my dress, “I mean, especially if I know I wouldn’t get to concentrate on the movie.”

“Then why did you say yes?” he questioned, sitting on my bed.

“Because Axel asked me,” I answered quietly, it was as if I was ashamed about my reason, “Do you know what it’s like to be in something to compromising that you just need to go with it?”

He didn’t answer my question, instead, he just stared at me as I continued on with my little talk.

“I’m just trying my best for everything to work out, if I reject him then I know it will only add fuel to the fire,” I babbled, waving my arms in the air to make my point, “In all honesty, I don’t even know why I’m entertaining him in the first place.”

“Call me crazy if you like,” he said, “But I think there’s a tiny part of you that has a soft spot for him.”

I paused for a moment before I blinked at him, letting the words sink in. I started laughing, clutching my stomach as I reacted to his joke, “Well, you’re crazy then.”