Garlic Bread and Lions

Nikki’s POV

A lion – angry and bristling – watched me with dark, intense eyes. Petrified, I stared back, unmoving and unsure what to do. The creature was colossal, menacingly so, with heaps of orange fur piled on to its massive form. It let loose a ragged growl as it regarded me with clear contempt.

I held my breath – disbelieving. Jacen leaves me alone in his living room and within five minutes, exotic wildlife is making attempts on my life. I shouldn’t have been surprised. After having to go through a guard gate just to get inside Jacen’s house, I should’ve anticipated that, in doing so, I was entering a whole new world.

The fluffy beast took a step towards me – the floorboards creaking beneath its massive paws – as it emitted a fang bearing snarl. “Easy,” I said nervously, holding up a hand – as if that would stop the monster – as I backed up against the couch. I glanced over at the front door, gauging my chances of making it there unscathed if I was to make a run for it. They weren’t good. Unlike my chances of becoming a snack for whatever breed this thing was – which were extremely high.

“Rajah!”

At the sound of the voice, the creature before me transformed – from a frothing beast to a docile pet. The dripping fangs disappeared from view and the cold bloodedness left its eyes. The animal dropped heavily onto its haunches, its tongue lolling out contently as it regarded Jacen with a love struck look about it.

“Sorry Nicks,” he apologized smoothly as he strode over to the waiting giant. “She’s just not used to strangers. Don’t worry though – she’s harmless.”

“Jesus Jace,” I breathed, my hand flying to my chest. I could feel my heart pounding against my ribcage as if it was attempting to break free, “What is that thing?” 

“Rajah is not a thing,” Jace said, seeming almost offended as he went over to the monster, petting its massive head in a comforting way; as if it would be hurt by my comment as well. “She’s a Tibetan Mastiff. And a very special one at that.”

“Wait,” I said, rising to my feet, “Are you telling me that . . . that goliath is a dog?”

Jacen dropped a nod, smiling at me in a way that told me he found my surprise amusing. “Not just any dog,” he said, ruffling Rajah’s fluffy ears, causing her to glow proudly. “The best of the best.”

I eased forward slowly. “You never mentioned that you had a dog,” I noted lowly, still eyeing the bear of a dog with apprehension. “Or that it likes to eat your guests.”

“Sorry babe,” he apologized, coming over to me and wrapping an arm around my waist. Rajah watched us intently and I swear to God that was jealousy I saw in her gaze. “Don’t worry though. She’ll get used to you. Now c’mon, I checked with Odette, dinner’s ready.”

Anxious storm clouds brewed in my head; darkening my joy at not being eaten. “Fantastic,” I muttered, “I survive a lion so you throw me to a dragon.”

Jace gave a chuckle as he began leading me down the wide open hall – it felt like a death march. “You’re being melodramatic again,” he informed me, “Odette is harmless.”

“I’m beginning to think you don’t know what that word means,” I said, eyeing him accusingly, “Seeing as you said the same thing about Rajah – and she tried to eat me.”

Shaking his head and laughing lowly, Jacen said, “Just relax. Everything’s going to be fine.” I would’ve responded – probably something about how it probably seemed that way from his end – but I clamped my mouth shut when we suddenly entered through a wooden archway and into the dining room. We had arrived. I waited for the ominous organ playing – bum, bum, bum – but it never came.