Chapter Eight

A heavy sigh left my lips as I woke up. My whole body felt as if it were made of steel, and I stretched my arms across the warm comforter. I hadn't been able to sleep much because I kept thinking about my father and how disappointed I felt. He was my hero, the person I trusted more than anyone else, and my heart ached from the betrayal. Mom didn't want to elaborate on the details of his affair, but she told me it was something that troubled her for years until she hired a private investigator to find out the truth.

When I told Mom about Sam cheating on me, I didn't mention Sonya. It would bring back memories that she had overcome, and she had suffered enough. Dad was another story. This time, I did want to reveal who Sonya was. Apparently, the cheating gene ran in her family.

My jaw hurt from clenching it through the night. I massaged the sides of my cheeks and inhaled. I needed a distraction. My phone was charging on the desk, so I stood up to get it.

I slid my finger across the screen, and my pulse started to race. I shouldn't expect anything from Scott, and yet, I was. When I saw a notification from a strange number, I held my breath.

Strange number: Hey. Hope all is well. It's Scott, btw. I didn't give you my number, so... Also, this is awkward. Text me if you want to chat?

I smiled as I read the messages. He texted me! I saved his contact and answered back.

Emily: Hi Scott! Sorry, I wasn't near my phone. But thank you for checking up on me.

A moment later, the little dots jumped up and down, making my belly flutter.

Scott: I'm charming and considerate, you could say I'm quite the perfect guy 😊

I laughed.

Emily: Yeah, except one thing: you lack modesty.

Scott: Touché 😉. So, are you free sometime today?

My smile widened. He wanted to see me! I did a little dance before straightening my hair, as if he could see me.

Emily: I don't have anything planned.

Scott: Do you like horses?

I was clumsy in normal activities; I wasn't sure I could ride a horse. Plus, horses are supposed to sense your feelings. I'd be nervous and I didn't want to embarrass myself. Especially not with Scott.

Emily: I do like them, but I don't know how to ride them. Maybe we could go out for a walk or something?

Scott: I've heard I'm a great teacher. But a walk is fine. Want to meet in a couple of hours?

A relieved sigh left my lips.

I typed Yes!!! but erased the answer.

Emily: Yeah, that works.

I didn't want to look so eager or desperate, but I was thrilled to meet him again.

We said our goodbyes and I read the thread again. My whole body felt lighter than before. Despite everything going on, I had a smile plastered on my face. It lasted through my shower and until I was making my way down the stairs to the kitchen when my steps faltered. The smell of smoke was too strong to ignore. I rubbed my nose. Mom had always been an awful cook. It was comforting to know that some things never changed.

"Hi, Mom," I greeted as I entered the kitchen, trying not to gag at the smell.

She flapped a kitchen towel over the stovetop, trying to dissipate the smoke. "Hi!" Her cheeks flushed. "I tried to make breakfast." She gestured to a couple of burnt lumps that I assumed were bread moments before. "But things didn't go well."