Chapter 9

CHAPTER 9

I rapped my knuckles on the wooden door and we waited. I could feel my heart pumping fast and I knew I needed to settle it down. It seemed like a lifetime and yet the blink of an eye for someone to answer the door. An older man opened it. His hair light brown hair just starting to gray, and wrinkles forming at the corners of his eyes looked out at us.

"Can I help you?" He asked in a deep voice.

"Uh, I think so, sir. I was hoping ... I mean ... we talked with some people who know you. Really know you, and they said you might be able to help. Can we step inside please?"

I didn't think it was going to work, I really didn't. It wasn't exactly the strongest start ever. I hadn't given the man much to go on, and I could still hear my heart pounding in my ears. I wouldn't have even let myself in, but it looked like curiosity had gotten the better of this man. He stepped aside and led us into a living room.

When we walked into the small, warm room. A fire crackled away and two people were sitting on the couch, looking our way as we entered. Just like we had been told; one older male, and a younger male and female.

"So what is this about?" The older man asked.

"We've been looking for people like you for a long time," I glanced around the room, my anxiety getting the better of me. I wasn't sure if I'd be able to do this anymore. Maybe I should have let Ian talk.

"People like us?" The younger man shifted on the couch, his full attention now on me. Three werewolves, all of them now on edge. This could go horribly wrong.

"Yeah. It's okay, you don't have to hide. We know what you are."

The older man stiffened and so did I. Alarms were going off in his head and he was nervous now. What if they didn't know anyone else? I shouldn't have used that for my opening.

"What do you want?" The older man asked. I could tell he was speaking through his teeth, but he was hiding it well.

I dug my nail from my middle finger into my thumb, focusing on that pain instead of what I was saying. I wasn't sure I would be able to say this lie convincingly unless I had something else to focus on. Our survival from now on counted on my ability to lie.

"We want to be like you," I whispered.

Just get them comfortable with you Electra. Just make them feel like this is what you want, like you're not here to hurt them. Let them get comfortable and then attack. It's not like you mean what you're saying.

"You what?" The girl asked.

They clearly didn't get people asking them often. I had assumed as much. If they truly were a pack, they were a small one.

"We want you to turn us. Can you do that?" I thought my nail was going to break the skin, but I just kept it there. My breathing remained slow and even.

"What are your reasons?" The older man asked looking down at us skeptically.

"We want abilities like you have. We want to be faster and stronger. We hate being so weak. It's sickening. When we know what you can do ... to be human just seems so ... pathetic."

I could see the man reading me, trying to tell if I was lying. I didn't spare a glance toward Ian, but I could feel him beside me. For the first time since stepping inside this house, I was glad I'd taken up speaking. It felt like Ian was about to pass out next to me. He was hiding it well, but I wasn't sure it was good enough to fool an Alpha, if that's indeed what this man was.