Epilogue: Matrimony

Epilogue
MATRIMONY

Five years later...

Through the stained glass windows of the fine oak doors, Amy took a chanced peek at the scene awaiting her. Almost a hundred people of all sizes and colours were joined in the steamy church building for one of the world's most beautiful ceremonies. Amy recognised only half of the faces here but that did not dampen her spirits.

"Amy, come on, stop dawdling. Come here." It was Donna, nagging as she always did when she was stressed.

"Calm down, Donna," Amy smiled, skipping over to where Donna was attaching some last minute flower decorations to her intricate hair style. "You've been through this before. Why are you nervous? You're only a bridesmaid this time!"

"Yes, but Jake Hamilton and a hundred reporters will be in that church!" squealed Donna, helping Amy tie in a few last-minute accessories.

"No, Jake's refused to have any photographers in there except the actual wedding photographer. I thought Yani told you that? Anyway, Jake wants it to be kept private from the media... well, as private as it can be."

"Whatever, come on, it's almost time."

With that, Donna and Amy collected their matching flower bouquets of white lilies and red carnations before moving to stand in front of the grand oak doors where Amy had been previously. It was a few minutes before Yani finally came around the corner accompanied by her father, Parri Ulla. She clung to his arm with all the strength she had, looking as though she would faint at any moment. She wore an elegant white gown with the finest gold jewellery, her hair a priceless masterpiece.

"Yani!" both Donna and Amy exclaimed at once, taking it in turn to embrace their friend and Mr Ulla. Such contact brought out Yani's torrent of tears.

"I... can't... be--lieve... this... is... happ--ening..." she sobbed into Amy's shoulder.

"Woah, Yani, calm down - you'll ruin your make up," rushed Donna, prying Yani's face away from the light pink fabric of Amy's bridesmaid dress. All three girls laughed.

"I love you two so much," Yani sobbed some more, reaching out to embrace both Donna and Amy at once.

"Aw, Yanz," Donna cooed before Mr Ulla cleared his throat.

"It's time to go, girls."

Each girl wiped their eyes clear of salty tears before assembling themselves before the oak doors once more. Mr Ulla took Yani's arm and stood with her behind Donna and Amy, supporting his overwhelmed daughter. Wagner's traditional march sounded throughout the church and one could hear everyone's breath stalling in anticipation. Two doormen opened the large doors before Donna and Amy, who slowly made their way down the aisle, smiling at those whose watery faces they met. They were halfway down the aisle when they knew Yani had stepped into view - everyone drew breath at the beauty in which she carried.

After what seemed like a whole kilometre, Donna and Amy arrived at the altar and moved to stand behind the celebrant, beside Jake's best men, Matthew Hamilton and Nathan North, the latter being a friend of Jake. Amy gave a wink and a smile in return for the grin Matthew gave her, feeling incredible. She put away all playfulness, however, as Yani fast approached the altar herself where she and her father paused at the foot of the stairs. Jake seemed frozen with emotion, but after a prolonged silence, he stepped down to meet his future wife. Mr Ulla, through poorly hidden tears, gave Jake Yani's hand before walking to his seat in the audience beside his own wife, Tallara.

Jake and Yani walked up the few steps to the celebrant together, facing away from the audience. Amy could see Yani's watery eyes and smiled at her beauty.