Romance in a Study Dress

My eyes skimmed between the spines of the books neatly lining the shelves to discreetly peek at his deep eyes from the other side of the tall bookshelf.  He studies the titles with furrowed thick brows and tilted head. He’s cuuuute. Mr. Deep Eyes, as I don’t know his name yet, is always in the Arts section of the public library. I don’t really know when I started becoming such a regular to this place. Actually I do know, roughly around the time I saw him. Okay, exactly the time I saw him.  On my defense the library isn’t exactly a place to hang out okay? And there’s this new thing called the internet.

Oh gosh! he looked up. I shoved my nose into the book I’m pretending to read. My vision tried to focus on the words in front of me. Well, this doesn’t make sense. Why would a cow jump over a moon? Oh! It turns out I’m holding a very old book of nursery rhymes. That made me look stupid. Can I get a sarcastic round of applause? Oh thank you imaginary crowd!

Maybe he’s didn’t see me. Crap! he’s looking at me.

Deep breaths Sabrina, Inhale then exhale. Be a big girl and look at the handsome guy in the face. I became aware where I’m standing. I WAS at the other side of the bookshelf now I’m right at his line of vision. Where oh where have my plans gone. The plan where I bump into him with a pile of books and as he helps me scramble them together we look into each other’s eyes and boom! fireworks! like on those movies. I guess that’s not happening. Too bad, been thinking how to do plan A for weeks so I guess I’ll go to plan B: Wing it.

If I look up and he’s looking at me; smiling, I’ll demurely, discreetly and shyly (Do not forget prettily) smile putting a tuft of my hair behind my ear. If not, then. . . Plan A will need a revisit.

Gasp! he’s suh-may-ling!

Sabrina, don’t be a dork and ruin this moment. Step 1, smile and step 2, tucking my hai—. Where’s my hair?!!! panic. panic. Ooooh yeah. I tied it in a ponytail. Well that was an epic fail. I’ll just smooth my lucky purple-grey dress. I looked up and saw his smile widen.

“Hey!” he said in his deep voice as he took off his headphones.

“Hey” Do not panic Sabrina!

“Aren’t you Mrs. Collin’s daughter?” yep! I nodded still smiling. My mom happens to be the Librarian. “Nice to meet you. I’m Evan” he offered his hand. I’m gonna touch his hand! My insides are jumpy. “S-s-sabrina” I stuttered. Cool Sab, cool.

That’s how things started. I’d say insert cute montage and a quirky love song.

He would be there every Saturday morning with those art books and a sketchpad and a number of blue pencils. I’d pretend to read but I would actually listen to his pencil scratching the paper surface or how the eraser squeaks as it rubs as I sit in front of him. Sometimes he’d smile and looks at me with light and my heart seems to well, it would stop or it would beg to get out of my chest. Then after smiling, he’d go back into his intense stares at the books then back to his drawing.

I never thought you could get jealous of a sketchpad but with how he looks at it. Seriously, its practically demanding to get burned somewhere and I would leave it with my evil laugh still echoing. Hey! hey! Look at me please!

“Evan?” I tried looking for an excuse

He looks up with a smirk and puts a finger on his lips. AAAAWWW. . . isn’t he the cutest? Then he points at a sign.

Please observe silence.

I sighed, well of all the places I could have a chance of talking to him, I end up in a library. He leans in and whispers, “I don’t think we could talk here, sweetheart”. He called me what? I’m probably as red a tomato right now. So I stopped my attempt of getting his attention away from his drawings.