Chapter 15

"He ate my wife!" Lee roared. "Who gave him permission to do that?"

"No one, he took it upon himself. Your grandfather and mother killed Conrad, whilst your father and Uncle ripped her out," his grandmother replied.

"Good! Though I would have preferred to kill him myself. How is she?"

"Healing, she received burns and crush injuries, as a result was unable to breath unaided. We nearly lost her, poor thing. Had the protection spell not been cast moments before, she wouldn't have survived long enough for us to attempt an extraction. Her resilience only goes to strengthen her claim to you. No human could survive that, protection or not. There is something very wrong about this entire situation and Conrad knew she had a claim to you, so why would he do that. To eat her in a house full of Graysons and Uncle, it just doesn't make sense. He would have known that we would kill him for it. If he was that intent he would have took her through a portal to his realm and done it, not here where he could get caught in the act. Uncle was livid, he ripped him apart so quickly we barely had time to kill him."

"Yeah well when he comes around you tell him I am going to take another ten of his lives for what he just did to my wife," Lee growled.

"He didn't put up a fight. He accepted his death. It was a mistake. Let's not punish him more that he deserves. He must have thought he was protecting us."

"Protecting us, she is one of us... she is my wife. Someone has taken our children. I can't sense them... I can't protect her. My brother and his wife are dead, his children are missing. What kind of a Guardian does that make me? I should have died and not him. Every day I wish it was my body in the mausoleum, not him. He should be here with his wife, not me. I don't deserve a wife."

"Don't cry. Please," she comforted him. "You are a good man to accept her the way you have. You have not argued against Uncle wishes for you accept her as your wife."

Lee sniffled, "I feel her in my heart, it's just my mind that is confused. I've always wanted a daughter and she said we have two. In my mind I pictured a little girl who I hoped to have call me 'Daddy' one day. That is the little girl in that photo. I recognised her. It knocked the wind out of me."

"Oh sweetheart."

"I can't breathe, worrying about where she is, who has her and why I can't hear her call. Surely she would call and I would feel it."

"There is a lot going on, we have to go slow so we don't alert whoever is involved that we are on their trail. It is taking all of our energies to stop Mae flipping out and going on a rampage again. She may appear calm on the outside but inside she is hysterical and had she not been human she would rip this realm apart look for them."

"We have a new born out there. How is that child going to survive without milk? I went to buy a breast pump for a baby we may never get back, whilst at the same time my best friend was killed for eating my wife. It is mayhem."

"I agree sweetheart, but remember the positives. You have a wife who we all feel an affinity to, so much so, we didn't dispose of her for discovering we exist, let alone that she was on our territory. Your grandfather is on tender hooks waiting for an attack, he feels she is very important and if anyone finds out we have her and that trunk, they will try to remove her. Not only that, she is covered in your scent, like she spent months just living in your mane. I've never known a wife to smell so strongly of their husband, even after a honeymoon. She claims you were with her in lion form, protecting her whilst at the same time serving your sentence. That would explain it. She offered you extra ear rubs, I don't know a lion alive who loves ear rubs as much as you."

Lee laughed, "Yeah, I even brought her the bloody chocolate."

"I am sure she will make true on her word when she comes around. She should be able to hear us now. She'll be calm when she wakes as we didn't want her terrified, she is going through enough so be gentle with her. Try not to be too hard on Conrad as it could set her off."