Chapter Twenty-Nine *NEW*

A/N: This is a new addition to Sink or Swim to make the ending less sudden. I hope you enjoy the chapter:) 

Chapter 29

Elliot and I sit on the couch in his basement, this time sharing a blanket, instead of having our own. His mother is upstairs, noisily bustling from one room to another. The only time she falls quiet is when she creeps down the stairs for a "surprise" inspection. Luckily, Elliot and I have mastered the sixth sense of knowing when Ms. Parker is nearby. He pulls my mouth onto mine and kisses me, long and slow in an almost agonizing manner. 

"You're teasing me," I whisper. Blush heats my cheeks, and Elliot runs his finger over my jaw.

"Just a little," he says. 

The stomping disappears, and we are suddenly enveloped by a quiet house. Elliot slides away from me and drops his arm off my shoulder. He gives me a quick wink before rotating his body toward the television. I do the same, and feign a deep interest in the sappy romance that fills the screen. The main characters are in the middle of a downpour, which they apparently find sexy, rather than wet and disgusting. 

"Elliot," says Ms. Parker, sticking her Botox injected face into the room. "Have you seen my cook book?"

"No mum," he says with a sigh. "And I haven't seen your wallet either, if you plan to come down later to ask."

"I don't like your tone," she says. 

Elliot doesn't answer. He rotates his body away from her and sags agains the couch. He and his mother still haven't worked through their disagreements, and she has yet to forgive me for not being Cassi, but they are on better terms than me and my sister. It's been two weeks since Elliot and I got back together, and Cassi and I have not spoken once, nor do I plan to. She was furious when she learned that Elliot and I were once again dating, but I ignored her. She glared, I turned away; she tried to lecture me, I walked away. Now, she's finally accept that I want nothing to do with her. We found a way to live in the same house without ever seeing each other, and now, swim is the only time I have to see her. 

There is only one week before state, and after that, I will be free of my half-sister for as long as I please. I considered quitting the team early, but Elliot begged me not to abandon him with Cassi and Dante. The latter pair is currently under inspection after a miscellaneous caller informed the swim coaches of their actions. I suspect Elliot, but he swears he had nothing to do with it. Either way, I have a strong feeling that Dante, my sister, and her accomplice won't be present at the state meet. And I have an even stronger confidence that I will never again be threatened by any one of them.

"What are you thinking about?" asks Elliot. His lips brush against my ear, and I realize we are once again alone.

"Nothing," I say, and the blush again returns to my face. 

Elliot kisses my jaw, the side of my mouth, my lips. We kiss until Ms. Parker again falls silent.

"She hates me," I say, dropping my head against the couch.

"But I love you," he said, kissing my jaw again. "And I will love you forever."

"I love you too, Elliot."

He wraps his arm around my shoulder and pulls me against his chest. The upstairs is still quiet, and so I resist the urge to kiss him again. He smells so good and boyish, and I can't help but despise myself for nearly losing him. 

"I'm sorry for being so difficult," I whisper against his chest.

"You're not difficult," he says. "I love everything about you."

I hug my arms around his torso and bury my head into his chest. He was too good for me, but he made me feel somehow equal, like there was nowhere I belonged more than next to him. 

We laid together for a long while. Elliot started to doze off, and even Ms. Parker tired from her usual game. She came down to hint that it was time for me to leave, to which Elliot responded he would take me home as soon as the movie ended. It was now twenty minutes past that, Ms. Parker was in bed, and Elliot was falling asleep. I felt the temptations of exhaustion myself, but I was too scared to risk falling asleep. If Ms. Parker caught me in her basement tomorrow morning, she'd likely skin me alive. 

I brushed my hand through Elliot's hair, careful not to wake him. My heart raced with each touch, and I wondered what my life would be without him next year. I am not a girl who believed in long-distance relationships, except now, I can't help but want to be. The thought of breaking up with Elliot, of losing him for good, terrifies me more than the thought of being related to Cassi.

"What's wrong?" asks Elliot, suddenly opening his eyes. 

I had been clenching his hair, I realize. So much for not waking him.

"Sorry," I says. "I didn't mean to wake you up."

"No, no it's okay." He rubs his eyes. "Sorry for falling asleep."

"That's all right," I say. 

Elliot looks adorable when he's sleepy. His eyelids droop slow, blinking lazily over his bright eyes, and he smacks his lips a few times, like a kid trying to eat peanut butter. He smiles at me, a weary, but happy smile.

"I should probably go home," I say, looking at the stairs and half-expecting to find Ms. Parker there.

"What's wrong?" he says again. He takes my hand and presses it to his lips. 

"You're leaving," I say. I drop my head back against his chest, unable to look him in the eye during my pity party.

"I'm not going anywhere."

"Yes, you are," I say. "Next year, you'll be gone at school. And I'll be stuck in high school, while you're off meeting pretty girls and getting drunk."

"Finn." He sounds like a babysitter, scolding me for misbehaving. 

He touches my chin, but I can't bring myself to look at him.

"Finn, I love you," he says. "Going to college isn't going to change that."

"That's not true."

"Yes it is," he says, running a hand through my hair. He suddenly stops, and I feel his body go rigid. "Wait, are you breaking up with me?" 

"What?" I push away from Elliot to stare at him. His eyes are wide, now more awake than they've been all night. "No Elliot, of course not!"

I touch my fingers to his face until the worry lines fade away.

"You scared me," he whispers.

"I didn't mean to," I say. "I was just thinking about the future, and I panicked. I shouldn't have said anything. I'm sorry."

"You don't have to be worried about anything," says Elliot. He speaks slowly, while his fingers trace the length of my collar bone. "I mean it when I say I love you. And I'll only be gone a year before you. We could do that, right?" 

"Yes," I whisper. I try to keep myself from smiling, but I can't help it.

"And for now," says Elliot. "We just have to survive my mother and your sister until we can get the Hell out of here."

I laugh against his chest, and he kisses my hair. 

"I love you, Elliot." 

"I love you more, pretty girl." 

 A/N: Hope you're enjoying Sink or Swim! For those of you who write, I have a new short story contest (open from December 12, 2014 to January 1, 2015). Find the details on "Anne Lutz Blog" story on my profile OR you can message me with any questions. Thanks, I love you all! :)