CHAPTER 1 - THE RAGE WITHIN (Part 3)

CHAPTER ONE – THE RAGE WITHIN

(Part Three)

His six-foot stature intimidated my four-foot-six-inches height as I handed him the crumpled envelope with a shaky hand.

He opened it slowly as he inspected my frenzied nature and counted the notes. ‘You could be good at this game, lad.’ He laughed as he puffed on his half-smoked cigar and fixed his worn, black leather jacket back in place and looked around suspiciously for witnesses.

His smoky, beer-tainted breath assaulted my senses as he regarded my appearance and started ruffling through the notes again.

He knelt down and grabbed me by the shoulder as I tried to back away from this daunting stranger.

His moist palm connected with my thin, worn jacket and left the evidence of his oversized grip, as I attempted to shuffle away nervously.

I was shaking at his new close distance to me. ‘If you’re going to continue in this game, you’ll need to beef up. Take this and go get a burger or something,’ he whispered as he shoved a ten pound note into my shaky hand and walked off further into the alley, leaving me standing there, confused by his kind gesture.

Realising that he was not coming back, I ran out of the steamy, gloomy alley, excited that I did not need to wait around the back of the local restaurants today, hoping that a waiter would get the order wrong so I could enjoy some more unwanted pizza.

Feeling like I had won the lottery, I strolled into the small burger bar and smiled at the snobbish cashier. ‘I don’t have any time to waste on you today, little man,’ she said as she wafted her curly, blonde hair to one side with superiority, hoping for another customer to come in and distract her from taking my order.

‘Double cheeseburger, large fries, a large coke and an apple pie please,’ I replied, ignoring her aversion to my presence.

Shoving the ten pound note onto the counter, she couldn’t believe her eyes. Instead of begging for some old chips or a half-eaten burger, I actually had money for a real meal for once.

She grabbed the note and held it up to the light. ‘It’s real!’ she shouted to the cook. ‘Where did you steal it from?’ she shouted as she leaned over the counter and grabbed me by the collar.

‘It’s a present from my uncle,’ I protested with my feet scraping on the side of the counter as she lifted me from the ground and I fought to escape her extremely strong grasp.

Unsure whether or not to believe me, she looked at the cook for his opinion on what she should do. ‘Money is money at the end of the day and it’s slow in here, so cut the kid some slack. Anyway he looks like he needs it,’ the cook concluded as she inspected my malnourished state, handed me the change and pointed to a corner table where she wanted me to sit.

As I looked around the empty restaurant, I felt a wave of confidence flow over me.

Did you enjoy this part of the chapter? If so, please show your support for this author by VOTING for this story or leave a COMMENT to connect with me! Thanks everyone! :)

***If you cannot wait for me to update this story EVERY FRIDAY, the full book is available to purchase on Amazon, Smashwords, B&N, Kobo and iBooks***