Conspiracy: Earth

Conspiracy: Earth 

By N.T. Bergeron 

Copyright 2012 NT Bergeron 

Cover Art by Jacob Zerby 

Thanks for taking the time. 

Chapter 1 

"Thanks Nick, you really bailed me out" said Steve. 

Nick studied Steve momentarily. A friend since elementary school, he and Steve had drifted apart in recent years. Steve's job as a fireman kept his shifts erratic and his ever increasing family commitments consumed much of his remaining free time. Still though, when Steve needed his help, Nick was glad to give it and it provided them a chance to catch up. In this case it was the usual; Steve's computer had been acting up. It wasn't too hard for Nick to sort out. Some spy ware issues and a few programs were loading that didn't need to be and his computer had slowed to a crawl. Grinning Nick replied "No problem Steve. You want a beer?" Steve's reply of 'sure' was not unexpected and Nick was already up and crossing the floor of his apartment when it came. An athlete through his school years, Nick had managed to stay in good shape after graduating high school and college. Nearing thirty years old, Nick had never married or had children and that afforded him the time he needed to stay in shape. He kept his brown hair cropped quite short; his face cleanly shaven and preferred to wear jeans and t shirts as much as possible. Nick opened his fridge and grabbed two pale ales and returned to the computer table where Steve was waiting. Passing one of the beers to Steve, Nick sat down and twisted his beer open in one smooth motion and tossed the cap in the garbage can by his feet. Throwing a quick glance at his computer's monitor Nick read "UFO Sightings on the Rise" was splashed across the screen in bold black lettering with a long pointed article underneath. Hmmm, I will have to finish reading this later was all he had time to think. Turning to his guest he noticed Steve was also reading the headline on the monitor.  

"So you're still into the whole alien thing then?" Steve inquired, one of his eyebrows raised questioningly. A simple scan of the surroundings would have revealed the answer. From the UFO posters on the wall, the bookshelves loaded to sagging with books that had titles like Atlantis: Is it still there? and Earth Chronicles. There were newspaper and magazine clippings of UFO sightings and crop circles littering his coffee table. On a short table, tucked neatly in the corner was a Stonehenge replica. Everything betraying Nicks love of ufology with gaudy audacity. Nick acknowledged Steve's question with a slow nod as he was sipping his drink. Lowering his beverage, Nick readied his response. Years of raised eyebrows and sarcastic, eye rolling 'uh huh's' had forced him to be ready to defend his passion.  

"Well, you know we can't be alone in this big universe." He blurted out, "Seems like an awful waste of space if we are the only life in it don't you think?" not bothering to hide his irritation at having to answer this question yet again. 

"Take it easy Nick; you don't need to get your back up with me" Steve said, his hands raised, palms out in an apologetic fashion "Personally I find it all pretty interesting; I just don't have the time to research it"  

Nick sighed and shook his head, "Sorry Steve, it's just instinct, don't take it personally. It's just that I get so many people that blow it off as a bunch of conspiricist crap or think I am a total nut. It really gets me going" he said and took another long sip of his beer and looked away. Steve eyed him warily before he spoke, his voice calm. "I don't think either of those things buddy. I really do find it all pretty interesting"