Chapter 1

Danielle Thompkins P.O.V

"I don't even like the black bitch."

"You need to be with your own kind."

"Why are you dating white men? You hate us black men that much you step out to fuck some cracka?"

"They both should be ashamed of themselves."

"That's disgusting."

"Fucking oreo's."

"The light of which is life, always becomes darkness which is death." This was my saying that I made up. It was something I found myself saying at times. It seemed no matter how things were, someone always found a way to ruin it. If it wasn't Toby's mother, it was my parents, or society, who always seemed to turn their nose up at us. The only one accepted us was my best friend, Lola, and his father, Johnny DuVall, he is 48 years old, 6'3, works out at least twice a day. You'd never know him to be almost 50, but it's sad to say that he's married to the bitch of the Wicked West. He's been so supportive of his son and I's relationship over the years that I call him dad. As my parents they hate Toby. Why? Because he's white. Toby and I have been dating for four years. Each year it seems that the hatred toward both of us grows. His mom always finds things to dislike about me and my parents find things to dislike about him.

But we've managed to still hold on. Johnny gives us advice from time to time. My favorite is, "Who gives a fuck about what my wife or your parents have to say. If your happy your happy. Fuck them!" I laugh just thinking about how many times he's said that. Over the years I just let what they say go through one ear and out the other. Exhibit A, like right now I'm at my oh so lovely parents, please note the sarcasm laced in my voice, house for dinner.

"Are you even listening to me young lady?" My dad asked.

"Honestly no." I said playing with the homemade lasagna on my plate. I had a pleasant surprise waiting on me when I arrived.

Once again they were trying to set me up with someone. I found it amusing that they are playing match maker when I'm already in a relationship.

"Being with that boy has turned you into - into...I just don't know. You should be happy to date someone who is intelligent, an hardworking man, and also a family man, such as Donald here." Donald? What the fuck am I going to do with a Donald? My dad went on and on and he was pissing me off.

"ENOUGH OF THIS SHIT!" I yelled hitting my hand on the table. My mom overly dramatic ass gasped in utter shock. My dad had a disapproving look on his face. Whatever this man name is looked shocked. For God sakes they trying to hook me up with a nerd. A NERD?! I'm a beast I need a man that can tame me not bore me to death.

"Danielle." My dad said sternly.

"Danielle." I mocked.

"I am in a relationship. I've been in one for four fucking years with the same fucking person. I love Toby and that's the end of this - this whatever the fuck this is! I will not allow you to disrespect Toby in any shape or form. If you can't accept that we are together. Well I'll tell you like I tell society, "FUCK OFF!" I grabbed my purse and made my exit. I could hear my parents calling after me. I politely slammed the door. I jogged down the footsteps and to my car.

"So much for a family dinner." I murmur backing out of their driveway. I wonder how Toby's family dinner is going?

Toby DuVall P.O.V

I looked at the time 8:05. Could this dinner take any longer. Mom had been talking since I walked through the door. Apparently she invited am old friend of mine to join us for dinner. I had no clue who this old friend was, neither did dad. The doorbell rung. Mom chirped up and jetted out her seat. I looked at my dad and he shrugged. A minute later I hear a voice I never planned on hearing after that horrible breakup.