Chapter 5: To Fight for Freedom

Please read author's notes below. Thanks.

The Rebellion Training Grounds,
November 2014
|HOLLY|

Awkward.

Totally awkward.

I'm standing across the field, trying hard to focus on Iris' fight. I tried my best to focus on her left hooks and jabs, trying hard to even watch her opponent. Don't you dare slide your gaze to his...don't you dare... I tried reminding myself as I I pursed my lips and glared at her roundhouse kicks. When her opponent managed to land a punch at Iris' face, the crowd immediately snort wild and I did, too, scowling at her opponent. That moment, my gaze landed on the dark figure standing before me.

Harley Bracken tired his best to loo bored as he tried to watch the fight going on but his gaze always shifted back to mine. Once our eyes met, he held his gaze while I snapped my head away.

I'm still pissed at him.

After he said those words in the jet, we fell into an uncomfortable silence. He excused himself and left me for the bathroom while I stood there, shocked to my bones. Did he really just say that? Did he?! I screamed in frustration and decided to take the anger on a broom closet in the jet. When my hand is throbbing with pain and the wood flying into splinters in the floor did I stop and rest back in my seat. Harley appeared five minutes later, looking refreshed while I sat there, glaring daggers at him, still very naked. The guy had the audacity of blushing and feeling guilty that he threw his shirt on me which seemed like a nightgown in my frame. Not wanting to exit the jet naked, I slipped it on, grumbling curses along the way.

The drive back to the training grounds and the walk up the mountain was even more awkward. None of us spoke, the huge wall between us crushing us into torment. And so, it landed both of us here.

There days of no contact with each other, whatsoever.

Three freaking days of me avoiding him.

Three days since he kissed me.

The memory burned into my brain like a brand as I blushed. I didn't like the kiss but I wasn't repulsed by it either. I know in my heart that Calvin is the one I seek but I need to face facts: he would never like me back. Harley...he's probably just fooling around, trying to bed me or make me believe he cared. Women fall in their knees just for a night with him, why would he want me? Plain, old Holly who sucks at fighting and probably has no special physical attributes that they want.

I sighed and focused on the fight before me. Dust swirled around the ground as Iris' opponent fell with a thud and the deafening shouts and screams of victory erupted in the air. I saw Emile opposite me, grinning at her friend like a fool while she threw a bucket of water to Iris who received the ice cold liquid that splashed against her.

I caught Harley staring at me again before his attention is averted back to the victorious who decided to approach him now. Oh, I forgot to mention, the fight Iris is fighting is a promotion game; it's a type of game-- a death match as I named-- where the top fighters vying for the spot of battalion commander get to face each other for a fight and whoever wins it will be promoted immediately.

I see Harley shake Iris' hand and raised it up as a sign of triumph. The crowd roared again and I see Iris beam at me and Emile, probably screaming her heart out in victory. "Vampires and werewolves," Harley Bracken started as he scanned the area ", I give you, our new battalion commander, Iris!"

I cheered and clapped my hand at my friend's achievement and tried hard to ignore the eyes of the alpha werewolf before me. When the crowd dispersed, I stood under the shadow of the tree and watched everyone congratulate Iris. My friend just shook their hands and clapped them; soon enough, I was left in the field with Iris, Emile and Harley.