Away from the crowd

Chapter 2

Away from the Crowd

"Hi, umm... What are you doing here?" blue-eyed guy asked. He genuinely looked confused in seeing a person inside the gazebo.

It took me a few seconds to gather my thoughts and come up with a solid reply.

"I'm sorry I didn't mean to intrude, it was just that I wanted a quiet place to read." I then motioned to show him my phone. I had every intention of leaving but for some reason I stood frozen to my spot.

"Oh, in this scenario I think I would be the one intruding. I just wanted to know why you were here instead of the party inside" this time he said it with a smiling face. I don't know why but he looked like he was assessing every move I make.

"Well, my friend went and ditched me with her boyfriend and I wanted peace and quiet so I can read until she's ready to go home... I'll be on my way now then." I answered finally having the guts to move.

He smiled wider like he finds my answer and gestures amusing. He then blocked the way out and was staring at me intently.

All I can say is that looking at him now wearing a black button up shirt, jeans, sneakers and messy hair, I can truly say goodbye to my dear Mr. Darcy. I think I am finally admitting that I am not the right Elizabeth for him.

"You don't need to leave. I know the feeling, my cousin ditched me to hang out with his girlfriend and the crowd was getting wild for my taste and wanted to get away. You wouldn't mind me hanging around here would you? I promise to be really quiet while you read" he even raised his right hand up to make the promise gesture.

I laughed at his gesture and we sat beside each other. But, we still left enough space to not seem too familiar with each other.

"Anyway my name is Andrew but you can call me Drew" he said extending his hand for me to take.

"Elizabeth but everyone calls me Lizzie" I said while shaking his hand.

He took a good look at me and smiled again.

"You're the girl from the library right? The one who had so many books?" He asked and I nodded but what he said next I found quite funny. "You look better in contacts."

I laughed when he said that. I choose to wear my glasses because I don't really like getting noticed that much. It was all part of me choosing to embrace the nerd in me rather than embracing the girly girl part of me. Yes, I admit I am weird that way.

"Uhh thanks I guess." I said still finding this whole conversation amusing.

When Rissa first saw my glasses she was shocked, but after a while she simply shrugged it off and simply accepted that I was different from her other friends. In reality this was why she and I were friends in the first place, we love our differences.

My mom would love for me to wear contact lenses all the time. She even brought the conversation about laser surgery just so I wouldn't wear glasses. But, wearing glasses has always been a dream of mine. So, I just tell her that we should save the money for other things... like books.

"You should take it as a compliment. You're really pretty when you don't wear your glasses, not that I'm saying you're not pretty with them on because you totally are. Especially the way you're dressed right now, you're really pretty... and yeah I'm blabbing. I am going to stop now. But before I do that I should say I'm way smoother than this...usually." He said while looking at anything but me, with this I laughed again.

I don't know what it is about him that makes me want to laugh so hard every damn time, I guess I find his gestures just too cute.

"It's fine I guess, my best friend actually finds it amusing that I blab a lot when I'm around her. She would sometimes tell me that at least when I blab she gets something useful and not feel like a total airhead all the time. I don't get it because she's really smart too. So, basically I'm not sure how and what to feel about it." I nervously laughed a little. "I mean for crying out loud I was just blabbing, I don't even understand half of what I was saying." I said.