Poetry. Is it an art?

I overheard a conversation today where two people were arguing whether poetry is an art form or not. And whether it should really be considered as real writing. I was shocked. I'd never come across someone who questioned poetry as an art form. But it got me thinking.

One person said that poetry was simply an easy way of writing, and that poets were people who had difficulty with writing stories. The other argued, (and I agreed with him) that poetry and stories are two completely different forms of writing. They should never be compared in that sense. Story tellers are people who want to tell a story and they usually go through chapters and chapters following a plot. Poets are people who use words and language as paint and they create images on a plain canvas. These words don't always have to make sense to the reader; it is open to interpretation. 

That is what poetry is about. The poet brings words together and forms sentences to show what he's feeling. And the reader reads to see what he can make of it. To see what he can pick out and what he understands about the words in front of him. There will always be a hidden meaning and the message may not always be clear but that is the magic of poetry. It's the mystery of poetry that makes me want to read it. The underlying tones and the thoughts of the poet mixed with the readers commentary going through his own mind. 

This brings into question the importance of the text vs. the author's message vs. the readers interpretation. Which is more important?

Some argue that the text in itself is what's important. That the words are there for a reason and that is the meaning in those words. No hidden meanings, no interpretation needed; it is all crystal clear in the words.

Others say that the author's intention in writing those words are most important. That the author's message is what matters and his story is most important. 

I think it's about the reader's interpretation. What the poet gives the reader is groups of words. It is up to the reader to read it how he wants and what message he wants to take from it. That's what I think is most important. 

So poetry is indeed an art form. The poet uses words and language as paint and covers a white canvas and creates imagery and presents emotions through words. That is the beauty of it.