Chapter Twenty-Six [Traitor]

In that moment, I had a million questions. The news was unexpected.

"How long have you known?" I said, staring at her.

She let out a soft breath and smiled at me, reaching forward to place her soft palm against my cheek.

"I found out the day you surprised me by coming by my house... The same day you told me you were going to leave the south side. I wanted to tell you, but I got nervous. I also felt like that was the last thing you needed to hear when you were about to go see Cayden," she whispered, concern filling her eyes.

I watched her for a moment. My mind was racing.

"How far along with you?" I asked, reaching forward to place a hand on her stomach.

"Not very long... Maybe eight weeks," she whispered, moving to place her hand on top of mine.

I smiled. My heart rate increased as I felt uneasiness overcome me.

What if I wasn't ready to be a father? I didn't know anything about raising kids. I mean I had a shitty teacher.

I kept my hand on her stomach for a while.

This was my baby. She had my child growing inside her.

"Have you told anyone other than me?" I asked as I removed my hand.

She shook her head and her blonde hair bounced around her face as she did.

"Not really. I told Cam. I didn't really mean too, but when he showed up that night to tell me you had made it back... He told me you were in bad shape and I got upset. It just came out of me. He was happy for us, Spencer. He promised me that you would be okay. He also said he thought we would be great parents," she said, smiling brightly up at me.

I chuckled.

"That must be what he meant by you need me now more than ever," I said, leaning forward to give her a soft kiss on the lips.

I heard a loud laugh and glanced out to see the family on the ice. The little girl was giggling uncontrollably at her father who had fallen down on his ass. The mom skated over to assist, offering him her hands to help pull him up. Adrienne must have noticed it too because she started to talk.

"That could be us one day," she said, turning her body to place her hands in her lap.

I glanced at her out of the corner of my eye.

"Yeah, it is possible. Except I won't be on my ass like that guy," I said, laughing.

Adrienne rolled her eyes and pushed my shoulder.

"You don't know that. With all your injuries by the time you're 30 you might not be able to walk straight," she responded.

I nodded my head.

She had a point.

"Do you want a boy or a girl?" she asked me after a minute, deciding to break the silence.

Definitely a boy. I didn't want to have to worry about my baby girl dating wanting to date. I'd have to constantly be scaring little boys away. But then again, girls are usually easier to handle than boys. They listened better. Definitely a girl. Hell, it didn't matter. It was going to be my child.

I clasped my hands in front of me and glanced at her with a smile on my face.

"Either would be fine," I said.

She smiled at me and scooted closer to me on the bench. She placed her head on my shoulder.

"Which would you rather have?" I asked, glancing at her.