Chapter 2

RHK 2||

"So you guys decided to rent a cottage in the woods; far away from all signs of human life for miles, instead of letting us stay at a hotel in town. That's what you said, right?" I asked dad for the tenth time since he had uttered those dreadful words.

I secretly prayed I had heard him wrong, or misunderstood him the first few times he repeated it. He could've been joking; I was up for a good laugh. But as I stood infront of the brick building, no more than 6 feet away from me, I was thoroughly convinced otherwise.

Don't get me wrong; the place was beautiful. There was no doubt about that. It's just... the location threw me off. We were practically neighbors with the forest animals - or whatever other threat that lurked through the woods. I comically imagined a wolf knocking on our door giving us a basket of goods as a peace offering. Yeah. My imagination isn't very bright, or funny.

"Yes Katrina, should I repeat myself again? Or would you prefer I write it on paper instead, so you can read word from word?" Came the smart-asś reply to my question. I frowned, sending an ominous glare to the man I referred to as my father. That smart mouth is going to get him in a lot of trouble one of these days.

I silently watched him as he tried to yank a suitcase out of the back trunk of a taxi, straining to get the bottom half of the bag out. From my point of view I could see why he was having such a hard time, but I chose to keep quiet and let him figure it out on his own. He simply have to turn the suitcase at a different angle, then pull.

The flight from California to Scotland took an entire day; from the early hours of 6:45am in the U.S to the even earlier hour of 2:14am in the U.K. Plus we had to wait another 30 minutes or so for our luggage to be inspected by customs agents. So, approximately, the amount of time spent traveling to Scotland was 12 hours, 49 minutes. Even though the time zone is different here, I can surely guarantee we spent that much time on that plane. Trust.

I snorted to myself. I can't believe I had timed our entire journey to the U.K. I really need a life, I thought depressingly before shaking my head in response to dad's question. "No."

"Then what's the problem?"

I hesitated to answer him. There was no way I could tell him I was frightened by the idea of sleeping out here in the wilderness. I had too much pride for that. And besides, Tyler didn't complain. He just went straight inside with mom the moment he stepped out the cab, unlike me who was still standing outside watching her father tug-o-war with a taxi over a suitcase. And Tyler's the younger sibling.

Sighing tiredly, I mumbled "Nothing." before stepping forward and grabbing the steel handle of the suitcase he was breaking his back for - literally.

"What are you doing, Katrina?" He asked skeptically. He knew the answer, but just couldn't bear the thought of me doing it. I wasn't one to damage a man's pride; especially not my dad. Men have an annoying tendency to believe that any work that involved hard, manual labor can not be accomplished by a woman. Just receiving help from women would insult their egos. Typical men and their logic. I for one see nothing wrong in a man asking the opposite sëx for help; doesn't make a man any less than what he is. But it's not about bruising a man's pride, right now it's about my duffel bag that was buried beneath this suitcase.

"Here. Allow me." I offered, turning the suitcase at a certain angle before pulling.

"I appreciate the help, princess, but this is a man's job and I don't think you can handle this-" the loud THUD! of his suitcase hitting the ground interrupted his sentence.

He stood in silence as I reached for my duffel bag and pulled it out of the trunk. I ignored his impassive stare and focused on the task at hand. Once I had obtained my objective, I turned to dad, who now carried a small frown.