Glass

It's been weeks since the attack on the Capitol. And Finnick hasn't come back.  Katniss, Peeta, everyone- they're all back from the Capitol.  Everyone is back, except for Finninck.   "Annie! Annie!" They all shout at me and I can't stand it. "Annie!  I'm so sorry!" Sorry for what? They didn't do anything.  I can't do anything. Finnick is somewhere and I know it. I spend my days looking and searching in the hospital, but I can't find him anywhere.

       I stride in to the hospital. The nurse stops me and stares at me with a firm gaze. "Purpose?"

"Visiting." I whisper my usual alibi. The nurse nods and I hurry down the hall and stop at Peeta's. "Peeta!" I yell and open the door. Hmm. No one there. Gale next.  I burst in to his place, like I did Peeta's. "Gale. Where's Finnick?"  Gale's head rolls over and I think he is sleeping. 

    I run over to Johanna. "Johanna!" I say. "Where's Finnick?"

She sits up and looks at me like I'm crazy or something. "Listen, Annie. I can't believe you are asking me again."

"What do you mean?"

"Yesterday you asked me. The day before that you asked me. I already told you it wasn't my fault!"

"That's not a good answer!"

"It. Wasn't. My. Fault."

"Fine."

I slam the door and walk out. Somebody's brain isn't working right.

I walk over to Katniss'. She would know.

"Katniss!" I open the door and Peeta's there too. They're kissing. Whatever. Desperate situations call for desperate matters. "Peeta!" I yell even louder. A passing nurse leans over and says, "Shhh!"  They break apart immediately. 

       "Uh, hi, Annie." Peeta gives a feeble wave. I straighten my back and stand up tall and glare professionally.  Katniss looks.... wierd. Her hair is all messed up and her shirt is sort of crinkly and her face is a little pinkish.  She looks guilty. "Annie." she nods at me. "Can I help you?"

"Yes. Katniss, where is Finnick?" I stare at her hard.

   She looks scared and surprised and she doesn't look wierd at all.  "Annie... I'm really-"

"Don't say you're sorry!" I snap. "Tell me where he is!"

"Annie." Her voice breaks and I know what's coming but I don't want to believe it. "Annie... Finnick. He's....." She pauses. Peeta pats her back. "Anniehe'sdead." She says quickly.

"No. No. He is not dead. Finnick is not dead. He can't be dead. It's not possible." I seem to have reached the end of the bed. "Finnick is not dead!" I grab her shoulders. "FINNICK IS NOT DEAD!" I shake her. "SO TELL ME THE TRUTH!"  Out of the corner of my eye I see Peeta mouthing the words "She found out" to someone. Maybe Gale.

  I get tired and I stop shaking, bringing my arms up and covering my ears and I cry and scream and there's no one to stop me because Finnick is dead. I scream some more and Katniss looks scared and worried and so does Peeta. I hear him say that it's okay but it's not because nothing will be okay since Finnick is dead.

    That's when I break. I collapse and the floor and I scream because I want to die and nothing will ever be better.  And then I try to close my mouth and stop screaming but I can't stop and I need air because I'm sinking. Somebody pokes me with a needle and it hurts but I don't care and everything will hurt now anyways. And then I slump. Unconscious.