On The Run

Sitting on the couch I glanced around the room. Xavier sat on my right and Blake on my left, while Lance sat in the chair near Blake. The past few minutes had been pretty much silent, everyone trying to figure out what to do. I, on the other hand, was becoming more and more uneasy with each passing second. Knowing someone was after me and I was staying in one place for a while had me worried. Though, I hoped Jake wouldn’t try anything in such a populated place. After all., Lance had neighbors on both side and across the street.

Closing my eyes for a moment I tapped my fingers on my leg. Time was moving way too slowly, and I really wished someone would say something. Another minute ticked by without a word and I let out a small sigh. “Anyone gonna say…” I paused, my eyes turning towards the window. “They’re here,” I said quietly.

That got everyone’s attention, and all three were immediately standing up, looking around the room. I had no idea how I knew it, but I just did. It was a feeling I got, like when someone’s standing behind you or something.

Cautiously, Lance walked over to the window and peeked out the curtain, a frown forming on his face. “There’s three of them. What do you wanna do?” he asked, turning his attention to us.

It was silent for another moment as Blake and Xavier thought. Finally, Blake broke the silence. “If they get in here, we’re screwed. It might just be three of them, but they’re probably stronger than us. I say we make a run for it.”

“To where? And even if we do, they’ll give chase as soon as they realize it, which will be as soon as they feel our presence move away. I’ll stay here and hold them off, you and Lance take Riley and get going.”

All eyes turned to Xavier. Was he serious? There was three of them, how could he take on that many and still live? It just wasn’t possible. “No, I won’t let you. You’ll get yourself killed, Xavier,” I protested.

“No I won’t. I’ll be fine, I promise.”

“Promise all you want, I’m not letting you. I’d rather stay here and wait for them to come through that door than leave you here alone to get killed.”

Xavier sighed, knowing he wasn’t going to win the argument. No matter what he said, I was not leaving him behind to face them. Not even if Lance or Blake stayed with him. They still had no chance, and it would be like sending them to the slaughter. “Then what do you propose we do, Riley? Wait here so they can  kill Lance and Blake, then take you? I don’t think so. Trust me on this, ok?” he stated sternly.

I just stood there for a minute. The thought hadn’t crossed my mind. Xavier was probably the only one of us who stood a chance against the guys on the other side of the door. He knew them best, right? As much as I didn’t want to, maybe I needed to do what he said. I needed to trust him. “Ok,” I finally agreed, a bit defeated. “But you better not get killed,” I said sternly.

A small grin crossed Xavier’s face as he nodded, then looked at the other two. A moment later we were standing in front of the back door, ready to go. We needed to wait until Xavier was distracting the other to run, else they’d catch up to easily.

Every second felt like an hour, and finally it was time to go. Lance lead the way with me right behind him and Blake behind me. We closed the distance between the house and the small patch of woods behind it quickly. Branched and thorns reached out and grabbed my arms, trying to slow me down, but I ignored them and kept going. My thought kept falling back to Xavier, if he was ok, how he was doing, and I shoved them away. Now was not the time to worry about that.

Lance made a quick right turn, pushing through the last of the brush and into the open. I found myself standing behind a large, old brick building. I watched as Lance made his way over and around the corner, then followed. When I caught sight of him he was standing in front of an open door, motioning for us to follow..

Once inside I looked around. Everything was covered with a thick layer of dust. Then, I heard something move overhead and quickly looked up, meeting a pair of hazel eyes. My heart skipped a beat as the thought that they had found us crossed my mind. Then, the eyes disappeared and a figure fell down, landing in front of me on both feet. His eyes moved from me, to Blake and then to Lance. “Well, for you to come here something must really be wrong,” he said, his voice directed to Lance.

Then his eyes fell on me, looking me over as if trying to figure out what I was. My heart was still racing and I could feel the adrenaline pumping through my veins. The guys obviously knew Lance, but was they good or bad? “Oh, nothing really. Just have the devil and his ghouls after us,” replied Lance as if it was nothing.

The guy’s eyes widened a bit and I could see the look of curiosity in his eyes. “The devil? Well, that does sound like a bit of a problem. How were you expecting me to help?”

“Well, I was hoping you could tell us anything you know about what’s going on, and help us avoid them. You know them better than any of us, since you used to work for him,” replied Lance

A small laugh echoed through the old place before it’s owner’s eyes landed on Lance once more. “That was a very long time ago. Before you were even born. Things have changed since then, and I doubt much is as it used to be. I wouldn’t be much help. And as for what’s going on, I won’t be much help with that, either,” he answered.

“Really? So you know nothing about the marriage between Jake and an angel?” questioned Lance, as if he was taunting the guy.

Hazel eyes stared at Lance for a moment, then turned to me. A grin spread across his face when it finally registered in his head. “I see. So this is the girl they were always talking about,” he said, stepping closer and eyeing me even more than before. “I can see why they chose her,” he stated, turning his attention back to Lance once more. “I guess I might have heard something about it.”

----------------------------

I really dislike the name of this chapter, but absolutely nothing else came to mind -_- If anyone has an idea as to what I could call it besides On The Run, I'd greatly appreciate it!