Swimming with sharks

Danger-Sharks!

Great White Sharks have a white belly and a grey back. This makes it hard for the sharks prey to see it.Great whites are found in the sea where the water temperature is between 12 and 30 degrees centigrade.

One of the best places to find Great white is around Dyer Island,South Africa.A Great White tagged in 2005 and named 'Nicole' Swam from South Africa to Australia,and back.The round trip was about 22,000km.

The Basking Shark is the second biggest fish in the shark family.

The Spiny Dogfish is the longest-living type of shark. it can live for up to 100 years.

Bull Sharks swim in fresh water and can be found a long way up rivers.

The white shark is the largest fish in the world. it can grow to over 16 metres long.

The Great white shark lifts its head from the water to spot prey.

It grabs its prey.Great whites have an extra sense.They can sense the movement of living animals.

As its jaw opens, its razor-sharp teeth move round to face outwards.Its teeth have saw-like edges. As it bites, it shakes its head from side to side and saws off chunks of flesh. The Great White's favourite foods are turtles, seals and fish-NOT people.

The shark will take one bite, then back off. It waits for the prey to die. Great Whites often hunt close to sunrise as they are heard to see at this time.

This is Safer for the shark.It doesn't need to get into a fight with an animal wich might fight back.

This is a good time for a swimmer to escape-if he has frends to help. One man fought off a 10 ft Great white by poking the shark's eye with his fingers.

                                                                                    THE END