Chapter 11

The Shift Ceremony

In the night of the full moon of the month, everyone was gathering in the vast clearing of the Wolfsbane territory. All the young pups from small packs are there, nervously waiting for their first shift.

The Alphas surrounded the pups and let their authority known to the young pups. When the young pups shifted for the first time, their wolfs will choose who's Alpha or pack they want to join. They're wolves will choose what's good for them and choose a worthy Alpha for them.

She was sitting in the branch of the tree masking her scent so no one will notice that she was right there watching, especially to him.

He was standing there to represent their pack. He keeps looking around searching for something creating lines in his forehead.

She was quietly watching them as they wait for the clouds to unveil the full moon. The young pups were nervous and scared as they chatted to each other. Some pups couldn't take their eyes away from the sky.

The first shift hurts like hell and it was painfully slow. In fact, some pups that has a low tolerance in pain dies in their first shift. They couldn't take the pain that it slowly killing them and more especially if they were born with a wolf that's weak.

Recalling her first shift, her old pack never attended this kind of shift ceremony hosted by one of the big pack. Her old Alpha was very proud that he never gave them a choice to choose an Alpha.

She was alone when she first shifted. Her parents were too busy with their biological son.

As the only freak on the pack no one really cares about her.

Eighteen was the shifting age but without the knowledge of anyone she shifted too early, too early for a ten years old girl, which was the time when her eyes fully turn to violet.

Shifting alone is painful, too painful that she felt like dying that day. The shifting would be easy if the Alpha or a family member is present. It lessens the pain a little bit, just a little bit.

She bends her knee pressing it to her chest and rests her arm to it letting her other leg hanging. She gently rubs her forehead with her palm trying to erase those memories.

Unconsciously, her eyes landed to him.

His eyes were still roaming around searching and she could feel his anxiousness?

Oh for the love of Luna! He is a next in line Alpha. He shouldn't let people see or sense this kind of emotion such as this one or else his entire pack member will doubt his authority.

Why does he feel so anxious and looks like he was lost in the middle of shift ceremony?

His hair was disheveled by the wind. His gray eyes were restlessly roaming around searching. There are visible stubble in his strong jaws. His arms were firmly folded in his broad chest showing off his biceps. His muscle chest rose up and down as he breathes. A fog came out from his nose telling how cold the night is.

He's perfect. Everything is perfect; too perfect for someone like her.

The power that came from the light of the full moon snapped her from ogling that man, as much as she hates to admit it. She roars frustratingly in her mind. She needs to focus!

It was a dead silent but it didn't last in a seconds when the screams broke out. The young pups were screaming in agony as their bones one by one twisting in different direction.