Chapter 30- Revenge

We had to stop after a few hours. The men had made a stretcher to carry Rafe on, but that meant we had to go at human speed, and neither Ty nor Maryn, the doctor, wanted to travel with him at night. They would rather take their chances waiting a few hours. I on the other hand wasn't as sure. 

I sat down next to Rafe and rested my hand carefully on his chest. I could feel his power coursing through him, slow but there. He was healing, extremely slow, but it was something. That had to be a good sign at least. He hadn't said another word since we left and I had been starting to worry. We were still a ways out having to travel on two feet instead of four. 

"You get the fire going, make sure Rafe stays near it. He needs to stay warm, it will help him with the healing, the cold will only slow things down." Maryn said. Ty nodded and turned around giving everyone a job to do. 

In no time at all, they had the fire going and Rafe was moved in closer. We had all settled down, most of the men had fallen asleep, but I was wide awake, there was no way I was going to be able to sleep. I thought I would never sleep again after everything that had happened. 

I heard a wolf howl in the distance, signaling to others and I knew this wasn't over yet. The rogues weren't going to give up until Rafe was either dead, or they took everything from him. I listened to Rafe's shallow breathing wondering if it was going to be over sooner than I thought. 

No, he's The Blood Alpha, he isn't going to die because of this. He's Rafe, it will take more than this to kill him. 

I heard Ty stir. I knew he hadn't gotten to sleep either, and I guessed he wouldn't. He was Rafe's right hand man, he had been with him through a lot. He may not have shown it on the outside, but I knew he was struggling with what to do. I was surprised how calm most of them had been, their Alpha was incapacitated and yet they were all able to sleep. 

Unless Maryn hadn't told them what was really going on, unless she hadn't told them there was a chance Rafe wasn't going to make it. If it had been anyone else, they would have died on the spot, but Rafe did have a chance.

I heard a snap nearby, a branch or twig. I jumped to my feet immediately, searching the darkness. I felt Ty moving around, searching for the source as well and a few others had woken up, looking around at the group. Only silence followed. Ty was about to sit back down when someone jumped out of the trees. 

I turned just in time to See Ria push Ty out of the way and run toward me. Ty shouted and everyone sat upright. 

Ria tackled me to the ground, pinning me down with a wild fevor in her eyes. "I'm going to make you pay for what you did!" She hissed at me, venom lacing her words. 

"What about what he did?" I spat back at her. "I was only defending what's mine."

"As am I."

I kicked my feet up, launching her off me and she stumbled back. The rest of the group started to move in but I stopped them. I wasn't about to let them fight my battles, this had started because of me, and I was going to be the one to end it. 

Ria crouched down glaring at me with bared teeth. "How fitting The Blood Alpha has a mate just like him, leaving people without their other half, wrongfully taking them." Her words stuck a chord in me, but I couldn't let her see it.

"Wrongfully? He attacked Rafe!"

"And Rafe had already attacked us."

She looked at Rafe still lying unconscious near me. 

"And it looks like I'll get the chance to finish the job myself. A mate for a mate." Ria sneered at me. 

That was when I snapped. To come after me for what I did was one thing, but to come here in the middle of the night and threaten Rafe was unacceptable. I felt the rush of my wolf flare up inside me after she'd been dormant most of the day. I unleashed my claws and ran toward her, scraping them across her face. 

Ria growled and leapt toward me but I ducked, causing her to fly overhead. 

I jumped, shoving her face into the ground and leaning down close. "If I were you, I'd leave before you can't walk away." 

"You wish," she grumbled before jerking her head back, making solid contact with my face. 

I stumbled back and Ria grappled toward Rafe. 

"Oh no you don't!" I shouted running back toward her. I kicked her down and onto her back, she tried drag me down, but I stepped on her arm. Ria cried out in pain as the bone cracked and I knelt down next to her. 

"I warned you, you should have known better. You should have left when you had the chance. Instead you stayed, and you threatened someone important to me. You should have taken your opportunity, now it's gone."

Ria's eyes widened and I plunged my hand deep into her chest, My claws helping the progression straight through, breaking through flesh and bone grabbing her heart. My hand stayed there for a brief moment and I could see that Ria was already starting to fade, her face was contorted in pain and I relished in the moment of it before I squeezed her heart in my hand and pulled it out. I stared at the gaping hole I had caused as the blood seeped into the fabric of her shirt. My hand glistened in the firelight, the red sparkling in the light of the flames as it dripped down, littering the ground like small rubies. 

"Too bad she won't be able to warn the others," I said, my voice completely devoid of emotion as I dropped the useless organ on the ground and walked away. 

Ty stared at me wide-eyed as I walked toward him and everyone else moved out of my way. 

"Do you have a rag or something?"

Ty jumped and quickly grabbed the bag at his feet searching through it before pulling out a t-shirt and handing it to me. I grabbed the fabric and wipped off the majority of the blood, my skin still stained pink from where it had already dried in places, and a thin film that coated my hand and wrist. 

"K-Katarina, are, are you okay?"

"Much better than she is," I said nodding back toward Ria's body. 

"That's not what I was asking. You just killed someone, you just ripped her heart out of her chest."

I stared at Ty, unblinking. "She threatened someone I care about. I wasn't about to let her get away with that."

Ty put his hands on my shoulder, gripping them tightly and looking straight into my eyes. "I understand that, but this isn't you. This, this is something else entirely."

"But this is me, Ty, this is entirely me." I shrugged out from his grasp and went to drag Ria's body off and away from our camp. I then went back to Rafe, sitting next to him, watching everyone as they watched me wearily as they went back to their places. 

I knew there wasn't going to be anymore sleep for anyone tonight. I still couldn't even think about it, Ty was too worried with what I was going to do next, and everyone else? Well, I think they were afraid of me. 

I rested my hand on Rafe's, holding it. I felt his pulse, weak but still there in his wrist. I tipped my head up to the sky, seeing the stars breaking through the trees and I prayed to the gods. 

Please, goddess, anyone who may hear me. Please don't let him die, I've only just found him. I can't lose him now, I wouldn't know what to do. What would happen to the pack? I'm sorry that I didn't listen and that I went behind my mate's back, I know I shouldn't have and he can't pay the price for my mistake. 

"Please," I whispered. 

I felt myself coming back down as the rage slipped away and the hollowness took over. My wolf slipped back under, going further down than she had before. I had a moment of panic as I felt her weakening, as if she were falling down a deep hole. 

And then everything went dark. 

**************

Well, a little bit of Kat's crazy side coming out. What do you think of the chapter, and what do you think is in store for them?

Remember to Comment, and Vote.