Chapter 2

The day ended quickly, and I was glad it was over. I do enjoy working at the store, but today I just didn't feel like it, especially whoever came into the store kept wishing us a happy New Year. I had to restrain myself from saying it wasn't a happy New Year. How could it be? How could I even think about being happy and celebrate the New Year knowing what had happened to my sister, especially when the killer is still walking free?

Our boss allowed Rhett and I, as well as the other staff, to leave once our shift was over, locking up the store himself. Rhett was starving and wanted to stop at Hungry Jacks before we headed to the wharf to meet up with Kaylie. I wasn't hungry, but feeling thirsty and hot from the humid summer weather, I brought myself a frozen Coke.

While Rhett waited for his food, I call Mum, letting her know that I wasn't sure if I will be returning home late or crashing at Rhett's after the party. She tells me it's fine and hoped I have a good time. As she speaks I can't help but feel a hint of sadness in her voice, which suddenly makes me feel guilty for ditching my parents tonight when we should really be together as a family. We didn't celebrate Christmas last week. There was no reason to. Not without Tiffany. Instead Mum cooked the three of us a baked dinner. The Christmas spirit just wasn't in us. We didn't even contact our relatives to wish them a merry Christmas. I should cancel my arrangements with Rhett. My parents are more important than a New Year's party.

I move away so Rhett couldn't hear me. "What are you and Dad going to do for the night?"

"We may just take a break from packing and watch a movie."

"I should just forget about the party and come spend the night with you guys."

I feel my mother's smile on the other end. "Oh, sweetie, that's very nice of you, but you don't need to do that. Your father and I will be alright on our own. You can go out and have fun with your friends. Just remember to call us to let us know if you're spending the rest of the night with Rhett."

I nod, promising I will and hang up the phone. I slip it into my pocket and glance over at Rhett, whose order was just called. He grabs the brown paper bag and then joins me, walking out of the restaurant. He takes the burger out of the bag, dumping the paper in a nearby bin. He unwrap the Whopper as we walk down the busy plaza to the wharf. He takes a bite.

"Want a bite?" he asks me with his mouth full.

I shake my head. "No thanks." I take a sip of my frozen Coke.

I eye two surfers as they walk past us in their wetsuits and holding their boards underneath their arms. Half of me wanted to ditch Rhett and join those guys on the surf. It's where I wanted to be right now. It's where I'm meant to be. At least it will help me keep my mind off Tiffany. This party wouldn't help me. Rhett had promised we would go surfing for at least half an hour before we met up with Kaylie, but then he decided it was best we surf tomorrow when it was our day off. Knowing the hangover he will have tomorrow, I doubt he will go surfing.

I don't tell Rhett what I'm thinking because I know what he will say. He has been trying every way he can to keep me occupied, but still Tiffany manages to slip my mind.

We spot Kaylie from across the street where she was standing near the bus stop at the wharf. She is dressed in a short denim shorts and a lilac camisole over her bikini, with her reddish hair tied back into a ponytail. I was surprised she was wearing her bikini underneath. I don't think we would be swimming at all this afternoon.

The light turns green for us and we cross the busy road. Kaylie hurries over to us and embraces Rhett, kissing him tenderly.

"Happy New Year, babe," Rhett says.