tears on a canvas ch. 6

Chapter 5

The pale moonlight glinted off of my smoothly painted flawless skin, while my dress dusted the hard surface of the ground.

What am I going to do?

How am I going to get back inside the museum, and into my framed home?

I huffed a sigh of annoyance and trudged on through the night, with the stars, moon, and street lamps guided my way. I look both ways looking for any cars before walking carefully across the street.

Right in front of me is a beautiful park filled with trees, metal benches, and blooming flowers. I walk over to a bench and sit down. I seem like a princess stranded in a city. Completely out of place.

I cross my legs, and place my chin on my hand.

The sound of approaching footsteps startles me and I freeze unsure of what to do.

It's an old lady walking her dog.

She has curly gray hair, with deep wrinkles, and a smile on her face. Wearing dark pants, and a flowery top. While her dog, a strangely shaved poodle walks along side her without a leash.

They are only a few feet away when the old lady finally notices me.

"Why hello there" she smiles at me as if we are old friends.

"Hello" I say while she sits down on the bench along side me.

"Are you lost dear?"

"In a way yes" I sigh.

"Well why don't you come to my nephews apartment I'm sure he is still up and wouldn't mind watching over you for the night" she says with a kind smile.

I am so shocked at her gesture that I open and close my mouth like a fish gasping for air.

"Close your mouth dear...or you will catch flies," she laughs. "So is that a yes or no?"

"Um yes, thank you..." I pause awkwardly not knowing her name.

"Oh sorry dear I never introduced myself, the names Sarah. And yours?"

"Oh nice to meet you, my name is Nicollette. And as for staying the night I must leave early in the morning" I say while adverting my gaze not wanting her to ask me why.

"Oh such an amazing name, and well that's fine with me. Here I will show you the way" She gets up from the bench and waits for me to do the same. As soon as I get up it seems as if she notices my dress.

"Wow that dress is so beautiful just like yourself," she says with twinkling eyes.

"Thank you"

"May I ask why you're so dressed up?"

"Oh um, to be honest I'm not sure" I answer truthfully.

She seems confused by my answer but shakes it off as she continues to walk on the dirt path in the park, while I follow her and the poodle.

A few minutes later we end up at a small apartment building about 4 stories high.

"Here we are," Sarah says while pulling a key out of her pocket.

The apartment has baskets on the windows, with yellow flowers and ivy covering the side of the wall.

I hear the click of the lock but continue to look at the apartment.

I glance back down to Sarah as she waits for me inside the apartment.

"Well come in dear, don't be shy"

"Oh sorry" I blush with embarrassment how long has she been waiting there?

I step in the cozy apartment, as a sweet smell surrounds me. I unconsciously take a big sniff of air loving the scent.

"Like it? It's apple pie" she says with a laugh. All of a sudden a voice yells from upstairs.

"Grandma! Is that you?" The male voice asks as footsteps come down the stairs. His voice sounds familiar but I cant place my finger on it.

"Yes Adam it's me" she calls back.

As soon as the owner of the male voice enters my field of vision, I gasp and instantly try to hide my face behind my golden curls. Because it was the boy from the museum that witnessed my first movements, and heard my first sounds. I looked up from my long lashes and into his mesmerizing wide surprised green eyes. Framed by brown shaggy hair that makes me want to just run my hands through.

"Hey aren't yo-" He stops himself and starts again. "Hey nice to meet you" it seems as if he wanted to add 'again'...while he extends his hand and shakes my hand gently.

"Wow soft hands" he adds under his breath, but I catch the comment and blush a rosy pink. Who knew paintings could blush? I realize he is still holding my hand and I try to tug it away but he holds it steadily and starts to pull me up the stairs.

"So your staying here the night?" Adam asks.

"Yes, I guess so" I smile.

We continue up the plush stairs until we reach the 4th level.

"I live up here, and you can stay with me or go downstairs"

"No!" I say too quickly earning myself a knowing look from him.

"Well uh what I meant was-" he stops me by replying with a simple "Its fine" and a smile.

Tonight was going to be interesting or awkward...

****************************************************************************************************

5 votes till next chapter