15

The phone ringing caught both their attentions. Adelaide moved away from him as he reached into his pocket and pulled out his phone. "Hello." Harvey answered simply while putting a hand on Adelaide's head. She'd gone back to leaning against his chest. Running his fingers idly through her hair, he listened to the voice on the other end. Apparently Maroni was trying to get bail. How the man even thought about getting bail was laughable. No doubt he was also trying to get a corrupt lawyer of sorts to work for him. Harvey suddenly didn't feel as confident as he did earlier on. Everything felt like it was slowly ebbing away. If Maroni got bail, he'd be free to do whatever he wanted, again. Hanging up, Harvey managed to reach across and put his phone on the coffee table.

Adelaide looked up at him. "What's wrong?"

"Just work stuff." He answered slowly. He couldn't say too much because then she'd start shooting questions at him. Adelaide rolled her eyes and moved, sitting up and grabbing the remote from the coffee table she switched the television on. Flicking through the channels, Adelaide ended up leaving it on the news. If Harvey wouldn't say what was bothering him, then the news will. She wasn't stupid. She knew that that conversation had something to do with Maroni.

Just as she thought, the man in question was all over the news. Oddly enough news travels so quickly in a city the size of Gotham. Adelaide jumped as Harvey shot up and took the remote from her hands. Turning up the volume, his eyes narrowed at the short dark haired man who was on the screen. Adelaide was confused. Regardless of her confusion she looked over at Harvey. He was by now, glaring darkly at the man. He was tensed up and listening intently.

Reaching out she put a hand on his shoulder. Harvey flinched and looked at her. His expression softened. Clearly he'd forgotten she was there beside him. "Who is he?"

"Mort Weinstein."

"And he is...?"

"Who he is doesn't matter."

"Well it clearly does if it has made you this angry."

"I'm not angry."

"Harvey, you were just death glaring the poor television. It can't glare back at you."

He sighed and put a hand on his forehead. Running his hand down he pinched the bridge of his nose. Slowly opening his eyes he looked at her. "We studied law at the same time."

"Oh..." Adelaide trailed off. "You have a past."

"Yes, we do. I can't say it's a very good one."

Adelaide frowned lightly and looked to the television. "He's defending Maroni." She said indifferently. Harvey sighed, Mort was an annoyance when they were younger and studying. The man seemed even more annoying now. The crooked defending the crooked. It was almost laughable if it wasn't so pathetic.

Harvey looked over in her direction when she made a sad sound. "Hey," he reached up and put a hand on her shoulder. Adelaide looked at him sidewards. "He won't win."

"How can you be so sure all of a sudden? It was only minutes ago that you 'hoped' he'd go to jail."

"Because I believe he won't win." Adelaide frowned. "You losing hope there?"

"I lost it moments ago before I discovered your less than respected friend was involved."

"Hm, yes, I have to admit Mort generally has that effect on everyone."

"What, he makes everyone feel damned and full of dread?"

"You feel like that?" Harvey frowned lightly, Adelaide looked away from him and looked to the television. He didn't know how she felt on this moment really. He just thought she was in a state of shock from knowing Maroni was in jail. Or at least, a jail cell. He didn't know that she felt anything close to dread.

Adelaide shrugged and stood up slowly, Harvey walked after her into the kitchen. She took to filling up the kettle with water. Harvey watched her. He didn't know what to do, let alone what to say. Adelaide rubbed her eyes and took to trying to find a mug. Taking a step forward, Harvey reached out and wrapped his arms around her. Adelaide had stopped her pottering around and stood sniffling quietly. "He can't be let off, Harvey. He can't." Adelaide turned in his grasp and leaned her head against his shoulder. "But what hope is there of him being sent down, if he's got someone as corrupt as himself acting as his defendant?"

She did have a point. Harvey could admit to that. And taking onboard her words, he wouldn't be lying if he said he was a little bit worried.

"Hey," Harvey pushed her gently away from himself and cupped her face in his hands. "Since when were you so pessimistic?"

"Harvey, be serious for a moment."

"I am, and I don't agree with your pessimistic point of view right now. If you think he's going to go free, then he's going to go free. If you believe he won't, then he won't."

"That's a little simple, is it not?"

"But effective. Simple is effective." He smiled lightly. "Just...stop crying. It doesn't suit you."

"Oh come on, this isn't the first time you've witnessed me having a minor breakdown."

"True." Harvey mused, she had a point again. "Come on," putting an arm around her shoulders he led her out of the kitchen.

"Where are we going?"

"Out."

"W-what?"

"We're going out."

"Where?"

"I am not sure yet."

"Is this wise?"

"What makes you think it isn't?"

"Harvey...you are connected to the police who arrested a mob boss today. You think it's honestly wise to go out...at night...when there's annoyed gang bangers around?"

"You voice a valid point here." Harvey said, Adelaide groaned and ran a hand down her face.

"You're really something, you know this right?"

"I believe you told me this before."

"I did. And will continue to do so I think."

"I suppose everyone needs a hobby." He smiled and rubbed his arm when Adelaide lightly hit him.

"Are you hinting at something?"

"Well...do you have a hobby?" Harvey questioned, Adelaide narrowed her eyes at him. "No you don't. You need something to do with your day I guess."

"You make me sound so lazy! I do try looking for a job you know." Crossing her arms and walking away from his side she walked back into the living room.

Harvey rolled his eyes and walked after her. "I didn't mean it quite like that."

"Oh really?"

"Yes, but somehow it looks like you don't believe me." Harvey frowned lightly, Adelaide smiled and raised an eyebrow at him. "You're still not convincing me." She grinned and shook her head slowly.

----

(Edited: 21/Jan/2020)