Chapter 9 - Saint Nick

Nick and I were falling into a comfortable routine, nowadays I was staying at his apartment since it made more sense. Nick worked long hours and it made more sense he stayed in his own apartment where he could easily get dressed and leave early in the morning. And I hated to admit it because it made me feel like I was enjoying Nick's lifestyle too much, but his apartment was way more comfortable than mine. His huge flat screen TV was a blessing, watching my favorite horror movies on that was a whole new experience. He once or twice scared me to death by suddenly appearing beside me when I was watching a horror movie. He loved it, always pulling me to him and wrapping me up in his arms and engulfing me with his fresh cologne scent. I loved being with Nick and I wanted to tell him that, but even though we were dating for weeks I didn't dare to admit it to him. I didn't want to ruin what we had, I never wanted it to end. The press also settled down after realizing there was no hot story to chase, that was until someone tipped them off with the worst rumor possible. I was leaving school when a huge swarm of people approached me, cameras flashing everywhere. I couldn't make out what they were saying, everyone was throwing questions at me from left to right. Anxiety crept up on me, making it hard for me to breath as I tried to find a way to escape. I thanked God when Miles and two other men showed up, making their way through the crowd to reach me. Miles placed his arm around my waist and guided me through the crowd as the two guys made a pathway for us. They were rushing, being efficient but still protective of me. Miles helped me into the car and actually took a seat beside me, ordering the driver to head to Nick's apartment.

"What's going on?" I asked in a small voice.

Miles looked at me, his wary expression worrying me even more, "Someone leaked to the press that you're a waitress sleeping with Nick to pay off your loan. Somehow they also found out about the payment you received from those idiots. It's chaos right now."

He said enough, I knew exactly what was going on now. I wanted to dwell on it some more, but I kept telling everyone that I was fine. That I understood what it meant to date Nick, if I caved now I would never be able to stand beside him. I promised him I wouldn't run so I needed to suck it up and hold my head high. These people didn't know me, so who gives a fuck what they think about me. Encouraging myself, even more, I felt a lot better. It also calmed me down enough to think it through. There weren't many people around us who knew about the payment. I'm sure Mike, the lawyer, didn't blab about it. The guys signed an NDA so they wouldn't go back on their word, otherwise, Nick would destroy them. The only other person who was aware of that meeting was Giselle. She was also the one with a motive. She wanted Nick and since she knew she couldn't have him she didn't want me to have him either. In her eyes, I was unworthy of him. There was no doubt in my heart that she was the one who started this chaos.

I glanced at Miles, "I'm okay." I told him, seeing relief flash through his eyes, "But, you know, I'm glad I don't speak to my family that often because it would be pretty awkward to explain to them why people assume I'm a high-class prostitute."

"High class?" Miles asked amused.

"Well, obviously Nick has standards."

He laughed, lightening everyone's mood with his boyish laugh, "Someone definitely did this to hurt you." He reached for my hand, giving it a gentle squeeze to reassure me, "Nick's PR team is doing some damage control. They'll find a way to fix this mess."

"I'm sure they'll do their best." I agreed, "I'm okay, really." I told him, knowing he was still worried, "I knew this was going to happen eventually. Someone like Nick is bound to get his private life exposed to the media. Evan warned me about it and I have been preparing myself for it."

Miles couldn't even hide his surprise when he did process what I told him he flashed me a grin and shifted his gaze to the men sitting in the front, "Nick hired a security detail to keep you safe for the time being. Once everything dies down you can move around on your own again."