Chapter 18

Thank you all for your support. I appreciate you. Hope you enjoy the chapter. :)

(Winnie)

I was in the bedroom getting dressed, the following morning, when the doorbell rang. As I finished buttoning up my blouse I hurried through the house to the door. Unlocking the door, I opened it and found Reed standing there. The sight of him caused my heart to skip a beat. I wished him a good morning and rose up on my tiptoes to kiss him. 

"I'd wish you a good morning if it was one," he said, closing the door behind him. 

"Is something wrong?" I asked, looking up at him with concern. 

"Yes." Reed glared at me. "You're going to the prison today." 

"Let's not talk about that, please." I turned and made my way back to the bedroom. "I don't want to argue with you." 

"It's not too late to change your mind, Winnie," he told me as he followed me. "You can still forget this and-" 

"No," I snapped. "We've been through this already. I'm not going to waste time going over it again. You know how I feel, Reed." 

"You are one stubborn woman," he growled. 

"And you're a stubborn man." I marched into the bedroom and snatched a dark blue blazer off the bed. "I guess we're both screwed." I put on the jacket and adjusted the collar. "Are we going to argue every time I have to visit the prison to see your brother?" 

"It's a strong possibility." Reed leaned against the door frame and crossed his arms. "I wonder what Mark would do if I showed up with you." 

"You know it would make him angry." I slipped my feet into a pair of pumps and moved toward the jewelry box that was on the dresser. "That's why you're not going with me. You're going to work and just as soon as I can I'll join you." 

"Since when have you become the boss, Winnie?" he demanded to know. 

I smirked at him. "I've always been the boss, Drummond. It's just now dawning on you." 

"Oh, really?" Reed crossed the room and stopped in front of me. He looked down into my eyes. "Well, I guess to keep the peace I'll let you keep thinking that." 

"Whatever works for you." I wrapped my arms around his neck and leaned into him. "Was there a reason you dropped by, handsome?" 

"Yes." He lowered his head, pausing inches from my mouth. "I wanted to kiss you good morning," he breathed. 

My breath catching in my throat, I whispered, "I'm all yours." 

"And don't you forget it." Reed crushed my lips beneath his. With a kiss like that, there was no way I could ever forget. 

For what seemed like the hundredth time I checked my watch. It was nine o'clock. Any second now the door would open and Mark would step into the room. The very thought had my heart pounding in my chest. I took a deep breath and told myself everything would be alright. 

The door opened at that moment and Mark shuffled into the room. He pulled out a chair and sat down in front of me. I stared at him through the glass that separated us. His left eye was swollen shut, his upper lip was split, and he had a nasty gash on his right temple. His left arm was in a cast. I recalled suddenly that he had been jumped recently by two inmates.