[ 4 ] insouciance

Zach

Zach. What were you thinking? Why did you ask her that? If someone would've asked me that, I would have done the same too, but in my case, I'd probably do it silently in a washroom stall. Considering I'm a male.

I'm such a a wimp. Period.

After making myself look like a complete and utter idiot (AGAIN) who has no feelings, I decided to try to make it better.

"Hey, hey, I didnt know. I didnt mean it. I'm sorry." I said. I regret saying it now. It made me look ignorant.

Know what? its ok. I've managed it for so long, i can manage it now if i try she wrote, wiping her eyes on her shirt.

"You don't need to keep it all bottled in, you know," I advised. I wanted her to know it was okay to talk to me. That I wasn't going to hurt her like they did. And that she can talk to me.

You don't know me. Or anything about me. Please, don't make this worse

Okay. It was a bad idea to say that. I just made myself look even more inconsiderate. So I decided to shut up, and let the time pass on it own course.

The rest of the class went on like that. Really slow. After all, its english. The boring subject.

Suddenly, the long, shrill ring of the bell is heard, echoing through the hallway.

Though the teacher isn't done teaching yet, the students in the class rush past him.

Mist didnt go along with them, and neither did I. It was a habit I had been used to, since fifth grade, staying in the classroom till everyone was gone and then sit in my chair, enjoying the calm, and then finally walking out to my next class.

aren't you going? she wrote on another small piece of paper.

"No, I like to stay in the class after everyone is gone and then go later just five minutes before the next class starts," I answered.

She smiled and acted as if she was saying 'oh' but without a sound.

"Besides I have a free period next. I dont have class till the third period," I continued, smiling.

me too she wrote, on the back of the paper she gave me earlier.

"Hey, since we both have free periods next, how bout you give me tour of the school?" I asked her, hoping to make things better.

Only if I get paid ;) she wrote, her eyes twinkling. I laughed and she did too but without a sound. I can't imagine how tough it must be, to not have a voice.

"I don't know if this is gonna be rude, but why can't you speak?" I asked her, genuinely curious.

My vocal cord is blocked. It can be removed through surgery but we can't afford it. At least not yet... She wrote on another piece of paper. She must probably carry around a lot of paper pieces.

"That's sad. But I didn't get you. What do you mean, not yet?" I asked.

I'm not sure I can tell you that either. I'm sorry but no. She wrote. That was when I really saw her closely. She had hazel eyes. A colour that is common in these places but the shade of her eyes were different. It had a hint of green in them. Her hair was bronze. The look suited her very well.

"That's fine. I know I'm being very annoying. But does this mean I'm not getting my tour?" I asked.

She smiles and shakes her head.

Just then a few kids entered the class.

"That's our cue. We'd better move out," I said and held out my hand which she accepted graciously.

Wait lemme get my phone. She wrote when we reached the locker area.

"Phone? Why?" I asked. I also wanted to ask her why she needed one because she cant actually speak to anyone, but I decided that was too rude and I chucked it.

it has an app for people who can't talk. it can speak out what you want to say. i have a device in my locker which i need to place near my ear and then the app will do its work. ill demonstrate. wait. She wrote on a piece of paper and went to her locker.

She came back holding a tiny black square thing, with a small clip attached to it, and her phone.

"Why dont you use this in class?" I asked her.

She motioned to wait with her finger and attached the black thing beside her ear. She opened some app on the phone, and suddenly a voice came from it. It sounded very much like a robot's. Monotonous and lifeless. Very unhuman.

"My parents asked for it, but the school didn't allow. You know how electronics aren't allowed in class, right? The principal didn't want to make exceptions. So, just my luck," she said, shrugging.

"This thing, its cool," I said pointing towards her phone.

"Thank you," she said or more clearly, her phone said.

"My tour?" I asked hiding a grin. She laughed. Without a sound.

"Come along," it said.

:::

A R O U N D   T H E   S C H O O L

"So, This is the art room. Do you take art as an elective?" Mist asked.

"Nope. I'm too clumsy for art," I chuckled back.

"That's sad. It'd have been fun to know someone who doesn't mind being seen with me," she said, gloomily.

"Hey. You aren't a disease or something, 'kay? I don't get why people here treat you like this when they're supposed to be nice to you," I said.

"It's feels good to hear nice things about me from someone else's mouth other than my mother's, but trust me, I don't need their pity. They're all self centred. That's the main problem."

"Maybe. But know that I'm nothing but glad to meet you."

:::