Chapter 1

A/N So this is my first ever story. Please help me if you see something wrong or have advice. I will proof read more critically and fix mistakes later this week.

Chapter 1

Bloomington Hills. Describing Bloomington would be like describing a fairy tale.  I’ve read stories about past government structures such as capitalism, communism, socialism that all try and fix the problems we don’t have. Everyone is equal. We all have beautiful houses with green lawns and a wrap around porch. We all have jobs that challenge us, interest us, and satisfy our thirst for achievements while still being something we are comfortable and interested in.

My father. JR Ruben works as a mechanic. He always loved cars and even if everyone drives beautiful, unique ones he can always figure out a way to fix them. JR is a reserved man, never sharing his opinion unless asked and even then only offers minimal information to meet the standards of a good answer without sharing anything more than expected. JR is happy though. He never feels jealous towards my mother’s intelligence. She has a vast amount of knowledge of sciences and works in the labs towards the big city. People here aren’t competitive as everyone’s needs are satisfied as is their wants.

It was once said that we have limited resources for eternal wants, but that was before. Before the human race hardly survived during the storms. Greed, competitiveness and human nature caused those storms. They used to label the reason for it as Global Warming, but humans caused it. Things are different now.

September 3rd.

“Craig!” a deep yet honeyed voice yelled up the stairs into my bedroom. It was one of those mornings when I wish I could melt back into my bed and reenter my dream, but I knew I had to get up.

In the back of my mind I heard JR yelling at my sister too, “Spencer, you too love.”

Spencer. My little sister by as little as 10 months. It baffles me how my parent’s would want a second child, when they had a one month year old terror such as myself. But Princess Spencer came into the world with grace and elegance, before I could even talk. She was an easy baby, or at least a ‘normal’ baby. I was unusual, in fact unheard of. I’d wake up in the middle of the night, I’d cry, I’d scream. My parent’s didn’t know what to do with me. Nor did the government-funded day care that people were required to bring their children too. They brought me to the hospital several times to get ‘fixed’, but I never responded to the treatment. Around Bloomington Hills I was known as the ‘terror child’ for half my life. I hit two and was just as bad; my parent’s were baffled as to what was wrong with me. I eventually pulled through and got over that and now was just another student at the Bloomington Prep School.

Spencer bounced into my room. She seemed to bop around everywhere always with an extra peppy spring in her steps and never really walking on anything, but the balls of her feet. We were very different, I mean she was like everyone else and I wasn’t, but we got along. Her blonde hair was tied into a high ponytail with a nice bow keeping it together. Her school uniform was crisply ironed with her light blue button up tucked neatly into her navy skirt. Socks pulled up- just below the knees- and classic Bloomington smile plastered on her young face, “Craig, will you hurry up!” She laughed at me turning on the light.