6

The car ride was long and awkward between me and Liam. Bridget didn't seem to pick up on the tension. She was just happy to talk about her favorite Disney movies and brush my hair. Even though she was young and I assumed waited on hand and foot, she knew how to handle extremely curly hair. It actually did feel much better by the time she was done.

"Liam, can Anna sleep in my room?"

"No."

"But I want to have a sleepover," she protested.

"We all want things we can't have."

"But she wants to."

"No, Bridget."

"You're being mean, Liam."

He was being more firm with her than before. My guess was that he was frustrated with me but I was staying out of it.

"When did you talk to mom and dad?" he asked.

She sat in silence as she twirled my hair around her little fingers. I couldn't see her but I would bet her face was in full pout.

"Bridget, it's important. They haven't answered."

"They left before me and Donny."

He looked a little frustrated and worried. I wasn't sure what he was worried about though. Bridget said they went to a party so what was the big deal?

"Did they say where they were going?"

"Mommy said they were going to Alpha Cain's house."

Liam shot his attention to her. That couldn't possibly be good. There was something very wrong with the situation.

"Are you sure that's what she said?"

She nodded.

"Don," Liam called out. "Drop them at home then take me to Cain's."

"Yes, Your Highness."

"When you get inside, go to Bridget's room with her and don't leave until I come for you," he commanded.

"Is something wrong?" I asked.

"I hope not but just in case, do not let her leave that room."

I nodded in acceptance. We pulled up to a giant black gate nestled into a hilly countryside. As we entered the gate, a huge castle came into view. I was floored. I had never been inside of an actual castle before, though this was much more modern than a fairytale castle. I grew up in a decent sized house but this was more than I could have ever thought possible.

"I'm serious, Anna. Don't let anyone in and neither of you leave. Okay?"

"Okay," I said, hesitantly.

We stopped in front of the grand marble entrance and Liam stepped out of the car. He didn't offer me his hand; instead, he grabbed my hand and firmly pulled me out.

"Liam," I protested. "What's wrong with you?"

He pulled me close and leaned into my ear. "My parents would never go to Cain's home. They are enemies. If they went there, something is seriously wrong especially if they sent Bridget to me."

"So what am I supposed to do?"

"Just stay in her room. If anyone comes, there's a passage by the balcony. You can hide in there."

"Seriously?"

"Yes. Now go."

"Okay."

Bridget got out of the car and watched us closely.