Chapter 41 - The Twist

"Jess!  Jess, where are you!"

Jess was surprised to hear Doug yelling through the house for her.  Just a moment ago, she'd seen the black car drive past the window bringing Doug and Uncle Jonathon home from work, but whatever the reason, he sounded excited rather than upset or angry.

"I'm in the dining room!" she called out, placing the last pieces of silverware at her uncle's spot.

"Oh, there you are," Doug said, walking through the doorway with a big smile and carrying a flat paper bag.  "You gotta come with me," he said, motioning for her.

"It's almost time for dinner.  I'm helping Annie."

"She can spare you for a few minutes," he replied, approaching her.  "You have to come!  I want to show you something."  She thought he was going to open the sack, but instead he took her hand and began pulling her out of the room.

"What's going on!" she laughed.  "Why can't you show me in the dining room?"

"Because I can't!  There's this new dance I have to show you," he said, smiling back at her as he led her through the hallway.  "Everyone's doing it."

They entered the grand parlor and if it wasn't for the fact that Doug still had her hand, she might have hesitated to continue.  Uncle Jonathon was mixing a drink at the bar cabinet with his back to them.  Even though he'd gone back to mostly ignoring her over the summer, Jess was still relieved she was with Doug.  She knew he wouldn't say anything critical as long as Doug was there.

"I went out on my lunch break to buy the record," Doug said, letting go of her hand and taking a 45 out of the bag. 

He lifted the lid on the high-fidelity stereo and placed the 45 on the platter.  After starting the record, he turned around and Jess heard the opening notes played by a saxophone.

"I heard this on the radio!" she exclaimed.

"Yeah, they've been playing it non-stop.  It's called 'The Twist'." 

Jess stepped forward so they could dance together but Doug put his hands on her shoulders and moved her back a few steps. 

"Watch me," he said. 

He bent his knees and began swiveling his hips while moving his arms in the opposite direction in time to the music and Jess's eyes widened.  She'd never seen anything like it.  And it was especially surprising to see Doug doing it in his dark suit, his shined shoes sliding on the rug as he twisted his body.

"Try it Jess!" he said with a grin, and she slowly began mimicking him.  Speeding up as she got the hang of it, she felt a tremendous joy moving her body in time to the music and feeling her skirt swish past her legs.  There was something freeing about it. 

"It's fun, isn't it?" he asked.

"Yeah!" Jess agreed. 

"What on earth are you doing?"

Annie was standing next to Uncle Jonathon who was now watching them while he sipped his drink.

"We're dancing!" Doug laughed, not stopping.

"But – you're not holding Jess!"  She seemed completely scandalized.

"You don't hold your partner with this dance.  It's new," Doug explained as the song ended, and he put the needle back at the beginning.

"Can you believe how children are dancing now?" Annie asked Uncle Jonathon while the music started up again.

"That's not dancing," Uncle Jonathon said mildly.  "And it's not music," he added, then turned and left the room.