The Silence of Six: Chapter 1

CHAPTER 1 

Max Stein bounced on the balls of his feet. The line was moving way. . . too. . . slowly. He should have been at afternoon soccer practice or running around  the  track, not zombie-shambling down this hallway to the school auditorium. But since hosting a presidential debate was such an honor for Granville High, attendance was mandatory.

"Man, this blows," Isaac Ramirez said in front of Max.

Max scratched his right wrist where the sleeve of his wool blazer kept itching. He was always uncomfortable in a jacket and tie; he felt less like himself. His black Chucks were a small act of rebellion against tonight's draconian dress code.

"'Don't you think it's exciting to see our political system at work firsthand? We're participating in history.'" Max quoted his girlfriend Courtney. "And so on and so forth." He followed Isaac as they shifted another foot toward their destination.

"You don't want to be here any more than I do," Isaac said.

"Guilty. Just don't tell Cort."

The Commission on Presidential Debates had decided to bring one of the events to a high school because internet regulations and education were both major topics in this year's election. Courtney Garcia's essay about her digital detox efforts and her recent suspension for criticizing the school's "no use" policy for mobile devices had won the national competition for Granville.

It was ironic that, as a result, students were being encouraged to use their cell phones in school tonight to post live on Panjea, the debate's biggest sponsor.

Two men in black suits flanked the doors to the auditorium, hands clasped in front of them. The small stars pinned to their lapels and the coiled earpieces winding behind their left ears marked them as United States Secret Service.

"Hey! It's the S.S.," Isaac said. One of them flicked his eyes at Isaac then continued gazing straight ahead.

"I'm sure they love it when people call them that," Max said.

A female agent was running a wand over students before allowing them into the auditorium, which seemed excessive since there were already metal detectors at each of the building's entrances. When his turn came up, Max palmed his cell phone in his right hand, his keys in his left, and spread his arms.

He wondered what the life of a Secret Service agent was like. Max was athletic. He had a knack for assessing situations quickly (at least on the soccer field), and he had a freakishly good memory, which his best friend Evan Baxter called his superpower. On the other hand, he had problems with authority, and he wouldn't want the government looking into his past too closely. He had just been a kid having what he'd considered harmless fun, but he knew they would love to make an example out of him now.

The agent waved Max through. He passed between the silent sentries guarding the doors and joined Isaac inside.

"Wow," Max said.

The debate's public relations team had transformed the auditorium in only a week. The shabby old curtains along the walls and on the stage had been replaced with red velvet drapery. A large projector screen now stretched across the stage, with two walnut-grain podiums situated on either side of it. There were enough cameras, floodlights, cables, and speakers to make it resemble a movie set.

Mr. Kelley ushered Max and Isaac into a row. "File in. All the way to the end."

"Axe! Ram! Down here!" Walt Smith called them down to the third row, where he was holding two seats. Max tensed up as the Secret Service agents stationed around the auditorium focused in on Walt and murmured into their earpieces.