Chapter 4: Mind over Matter

When I had awoken from my deep sleep, Logan grabbed me in his arms. I shifted nervously in his arms almost restless. I pushed his arms off me, "Where is it, what happened?" For a moment he was shocked at the outburst but shortly after he responded. "It dropped you and fled."

"Like it just left?"

"Pretty much."

"But why?" I asked as I fondled the bandages around my forearm and my hand. "We aren't for sure. It was like the big cat wasn't so tough after all." Said the man beside Kate. "It's like it was just a big pussy after all." Kate retorted. "Now are we just going to lay here or are we going to move. We don't want it to come back."

"You know we never asked for a leader, we don't need your help." I spoke out, as I stood up brushing leaves from my clothes.

"Well someone has to do it honey."

Kate's hair rustled in the wind but she didn't blink. She was intimidating. Her green eyes strikingly unique compared to any green I've ever seen. Her hand stuck to her hip, with a caliber in the other. "Come on let's go." Logan held my hand pulling me to his side far from Kate.

"So how did you guys get here?" I asked.

"We drove."

"Well where's the car?" I said sarcasticly.

"Parked down there," she pointed. "Right next to that horde of zombies."

Each eye laid upon us striking fear into me.

"What not so tough now?" She asked me as she passed by me. Something about that bitchy attitude, made me want to ring her neck. I let the idea pass over me, but don't think the idea didn't resurface. She was like that bitchy cheerleader everyone hated, but secretly wanted to be.

Before any of us could respond, Kate took off full sprint cradling the gun in her hands. Two shots rang out, and a zombie fell to the ground. She shot again, as one ran her direction. Another rang shot out stopping him in his tracks. Each boom of the gun fell over the silent earth. Her fiancé ran behind her, carrying another pistol.

He ran fast catching up behind her, right at her lead a shot rang out killing another one. Logan and I stood there in admiration. We also questioned their sanity. What in the world were they doing? If I was to ask her she would probably answer in a sarcastic tone, and say something ridiculous like knitting or washing clothes.

Logan and I followed behind them. As we caught up to their lead let's just say we were out of their league. How could someone have such precise accurate aim? She was shooting left to right, an eyeball here, and some brain there. It was a never ending pit of nausea that made me want to vomit. Kate and her fiancé on the other hand weren't even bothered with the stench or blood. When she shot one in the eye, blood and pus exploded on Kate's face. She didn't seem the least bit worried, or troubled. She shrugged it off and continued the massacre. She was ruthless.

A knot twisted in my stomach, causing all the color in my face to drain. Standing behind the horde, was something bigger, and oddly familiar. "Guys, it's back." She called over the gun shots, and screaming.

The words no one wanted to hear, came true. Without another thought Logan grabbed my hand as we all fled to the nearest building. The cat hurdled itself down the street knocking cars into the air, and came to a stop when he crashed into the coffee shop. The little bistro's window cracked and shattered. The cat got back up on all fours, and sniffed the air.

His eyes squinting as he observed his surroundings. We stayed tucked away in the clothing department. We didn't take our eyes off him. "Not so tough are you?" I murmured to Kate, who shot back with a foul expression. For a moment I wished I never spoke, but I'm glad I did, and I wasn't sorry.