Chapter 6

Timeline: Right now in TAMHM it is May. In Caine, it is July. In Liam it is late September. All of the same year.

Chapter 6

“What do you need help with now?” I asked Kat.

I was wearing some black skinnies and a fitted blue shirt. I had straightened my hair and left it down. When I walked out of my room and into the kitchen, Kat had glared.

“Hey, I offered to help,” I said, raising my hands defensively.

“You look hot,” Kat whined.

“Oh, shut up. It’s your own fault. I told you I would help you.”

“I know, I know,” she complained.

“So what do you still need?”

“I think everything is ready… right?” Kat asked, looking around the kitchen like if that was going to answer her question.

“At this point, the only thing left is for you to get ready. It’s already six-fifty,” I told her.

Pointing out the time, I realized, was a horrible idea. Kat was freaking out. The food was ready, and now it was just waiting for the chicken that was in the oven to finish getting cooked, the pasta Kat had made was ready, and I was on dinner roll duty.

Kat had barely let me prepare anything. She needed the help but she had said, “I cannot start my relationship with him based on lies. When I tell him that I prepared it all, I want it to be real.”

I went along with it, although it was pure craziness. Kat usually kept cool. She was also a great cook. But today, there was the added pressure of wanting to impress the guy of her dreams, which just equaled to disaster.

She had just gone into the room when she ran back out. “I don’t want anything funky tonight, Sav,” she told me.

“Kat, you’re the queen of funky. Are you going to miss this dinner?” I asked.

I laughed and got another glare from Kat.

“I mean it. I know hottie is coming, and that’s good. It’ll balance things out. While I’m busy with my man, you and Liam could talk or whatever you two do. Also, no nicknames—you know he hates it.”

Kat…” I whined.

Savannah,” she whined back. “No nicknames. You call him his name or you don’t say it at all. I’m serious.”

“You call him Ricky too!”

“No I don’t. I just let you do it because I know there’s no getting to you. I’m serious, Sav. Use his name—it annoys him when you don’t.”

“Everything annoys him,” I said.

“I know, so you’re going to try hard.”

I had given in. Mainly, because despite all of her heartbreaks and how easy it was for Kat to move on, she had never given up on getting Ricky. I figured maybe she had something going on there and I shouldn’t have been judging too harshly.

Now I was standing in the kitchen, waiting for her to do a miracle by getting ready before Ricky arrived, and for the chicken to be done.

It smelled good in the apartment. I was definitely excited, mostly because I knew that Liam was going to be coming. I already wanted to see him.

Despite Kat’s irritable mood, I had been smiling and fading off into my thoughts most of the time. It annoyed her more.