Epilogue

I watched as the seven palaces fell around us. I had already used magic to expand the city to the dragon stone palace. My palace. The slaves could use this new land and the land from the seven palaces to build homes, and be free.

          I thought about the prophecy I was given not too long ago. I wore the crown now. The slaves were free. We destroyed the seven palaces. I mothered dragons, and I am a sister of the hunting lions. I am the daughter of Isis, and I betrayed my betrothed. But there was only one battle I could think of actually fighting in.

          What were the other six battles? The thought bugged me over and over. Did I have more battles to fight? Did I fight battles and just not know it?

          I visited the Oracle that evening, when the streets were clear. She looked up at me and said, “Approach, seeker, and ask.” As if she knew I had come for a different reason than before.

           “The seven battles.” I cleared my throat. The creepy lady still gave me unease.

           “What were they?” I asked. She chuckled. More like cackled.

           “If you truly wish to understand, for once I will speak out of rhythmic hand.” I rolled my eyes.

           “Slavery, fear, marriage, death, isolation, childbirth, and battle.” She said, and then went back to her trance.

          I walked out, clenching my hands. There was more than one type of battle in life. That’s what she told me. She told me I had faced seven. She told me I survived. She told me that despite every odd against me, I won.