Chapter 2 *Edited*

Outside, the air was beginning to cool. There was a tangy, chemical flavour in the atmosphere — like smoke and pollution mixed with river water — and even as I wrinkled my nose, I found it oddly comforting. It was the smell of home and I hadn't realised how much I'd missed it until now.

I strolled along the footpath, my hands stuffed in the pockets of my jacket. I could sense Theo trailing along behind me, though his footsteps were barely audible. I'd grown attuned to his scent over the last few days — like pine, with a hint of something metallic — but even without my sense of smell to fall back on, I had a feeling I'd just know it was him.

There was a shopping centre ten minutes from our apartment complex — Surrey Quays, or something like that. I'd spotted it from the taxi on the way over here, and I retraced the route along the busy road, my mind elsewhere. I'd been so caught up in helping Lira and Sebastien plan Theo's 'escape' that I hadn't really stopped to think about what I'd do with him when we made it.

Well, feeding him is as good a start as any.

I hurried by the bus stop, ignoring the group of teenage girls huddled under the bus shelter. When they saw Theo, they broke into a round of giggles, nudging each other suggestively.

"He's so fit," one of them whispered, and the others sniggered.

I didn't have to look behind me to know that Theo was probably sporting a disgusted expression. If half-breeds like me were an affront to his pureblood sensibilities, then humans were lower than scum. I had a feeling he'd rather cut off his hand than so much as breathe in the same air space as those girls. Then again, if they knew he spent part of the time running around as a furry animal with a penchant for raw meat, they probably wouldn't be so eager to share air space with him either.

I sighed and turned the corner, picking up the pace a little.

Inside, the shopping centre was starting to close. Most of the shops were shutting down for the night and most of the people inside were milling around the exit or heading for dinner upstairs. I headed straight for the escalator, leaning back against the handrail and watching as Theo caught up to me. He kept his distance, six steps below me, with his spine rigidly straight.

I'd have to talk to him about that. His obvious disgust of the people around him, his posture, even his manners — everything he'd been taught to do from a young age — would have to change if he wanted to fly under the radar. With the bounty on his head, he couldn't afford to flaunt his upbringing — not without raising questions.

He glanced up and caught me staring.

"Try slouching," I said.

He cocked one brow imperiously. "Excuse me?"

"Slouch." I leaned further back against the handrail, bending one knee in demonstration. "Relax a little bit. Your posture is going to draw too much attention."