Chapter 7

Chapter 7

"So what question should we start with?" he asks as he finally looks away from me and pours water into a cup which he hands to me. He then pours himself a drink of what looks to be whiskey. I'm sure his liver is happy with that drink so early in the morning.

I feel my stomach flip as I watch him take a sip of his whiskey. Memories of the nights that my mother would come home drunk suddenly pop up in a flash. I shake my head of the thoughts. He's not the same, I mentally tell myself. Or at least I hope he's not. Cause if he is, I was going to high-tail my ass out of here as soon as an opportunity presented itself. I already had one alcoholic parent, I didn't need two.

"How about we start off with you telling me how you got to Italy?" He suddenly says. He crosses one leg on top of the other, looking like Tony Montana in the Scarface movie.

So cliche, I think to myself.

I nod. "Well, my step dad helped with the flight and hotel. And he kind of helped me find your address." I take a sip of my water and avert my eyes.

"And who exactly is your step father? Must be a pretty important person if he's able to get information from someone who lives in a completely different country." He now has a frown on his face.

"Ah, well, his name is Chris. He's a lawyer and my mom's ex husband. I asked him to find some information on you." I don't miss the way his eyes flash with some kind of recognition as I mention Chris's name. Maybe I said too much.

Oops.

"Interesting. And how about your mom? It's hard to believe that she would let you come here searching for me since her main goal was to hide you from me." His words are laced with venom. There is no doubt that Santiago hates my mother just as much as she hates him.

I let out a nervous laugh. "Well she doesn't exactly know that I'm here."

He raises one of his eyebrows in response. "Is that so?"

"She doesn't exactly like you, per say."

He scoffs in response. "Of course she doesn't. She only took you away and hid you from me for 18 damn years."

"I guess this brings us into my set of questions now." I respond. I try reaching over to put my cup down but find it difficult to do. Diego, who has been silently sitting next to me, grabs the cup from my hand and helps me out. Giving him a grateful smile I wipe my hands on my clothes.

I straighten up from my slacked position as I realize that this conversation is now heading straight to what I have been wanting to know for so long.

"Since we're being so honest with each other, which I'm very grateful for, I guess my first question is what exactly happened between you and my mom?" I struggle with what to say. "She told me things, that you were a bad man. She told me that according to some rumors she heard, you were involved with mafia related things. She told me she ran away with me because she was trying to protect me from you. That you probably wouldn't have cared about me anyways. Now, I'm not someone who hears one side of a story and just believes it. I kind of like hearing both sides. I like to take in the big picture before judging."

"You're very straight forward with your questions. I like that." He says. "I'm going to be sincere with you. I don't like lying and I'm not ashamed of what I do for a living" He gets up from the couch and walks towards me. My eyes follow him. "What Andrea said is partially true. I am involved with the mafia."

I suck in a sharp breath. Okay so he out right admitted it. A bit scary but I'm not exactly surprised. I mean the guy has the look down to a T, from the way he's dressed to the way he carries himself. Definitely looks like some guy who is involved with some shady shit.