Chapter 4

"You killed it with honey?" I asked, letting Soji haul me to my feet.

The grin never left the old man's face, "yes. An iron dagger dipped in honey kills a gremlin."

I looked over my shoulder back at the museum, "What do we do with the other two gremlins?"

Soji followed my gaze, "well some are evil and others are mischievous. If the last two are unlike the gremlin I have just killed, we capture them and take them far from town."

Connor barked, "I'm not dealing with that pink one!"

Both Connor and I then looked at Ren, "I don't understand what you're guys' problem is with that pink one. At least it didn't try to murder you."

It took us about an hour to catch the last two gremlins. Connor, Soji, and I found Ren after we had caught the green gremlin. I had to stifle a laugh when I saw Ren. He was holding the pink gremlin away from him at arms length as it giggled. Ren had lipstick all over his face and a few flowers in his hair along with a bright pink bow.

As the gremlin giggled wildly, he had his arms outstretched towards Ren and was kicking his legs as if it were trying to run. Ren looked at us from the corner of his eye and exclaimed, "someone take it!"

Soji took out a cloth bag, where he got it from I have no clue, and opened it. In one swift motion he had the gremlin within the bag. "The museum will be opening soon, I'll take these gremlins somewhere else away from people. Next time try not to be so careless."

Connor, Ren and I exchanged angry looks. I turned to say something to Soji but he was already gone.

* * *

About a week passed after our last case. Connor and I were having one of our arguments. Ren had went out for a couple hours so Connor and I didn't have our referee in case things got violent. Of course, Connor had engaged me in a pointless argument on whether or not Jackalopes are real.

I threw up my hands in exasperation, "Idiot. You're a hunter, you should know that jackalopes aren't real!"

Connor replied, "We thought gremlins weren't real until our last case a week ago. If gremlins are real then why can't jackalopes be real too?"

I groaned and ran a hand down my face, "Connor. I will hurt you if you don't drop the subject. Jackalopes aren't real and this argument is pointless."

Connor and I were too busy arguing to notice that Ren had walked through the door. "What about Jackalopes?"

I shook my head and walked away, towards the kitchen, "nothing. Don't worry about it."

I sat down at the table and took a quick glance around the kitchen. Dishes were piling up in the sink, pizza that the guys had ordered sometime during the past week was getting mouldy. Thank god its not moving....yet. I considered making a sandwich and shuddered at the thought of what might be rotting in the fridge. On the table, there were articles we had cut out from newspapers and various tabloids, I began to thumb through them. I called to Ren from the kitchen. "Have you heard or seen anything strange while you were out? We haven't had a case in over a week and I'm getting bored."

Ren walked into the kitchen, a tabloid in hand. He tossed it on the table, "out of all the things I've read from these tabloids, I've never read one that was true. They are all exaggerated lies."

I looked up at my brother with a raised brow, "then why are you giving this to me?"

Ren pinched the bridge of his nose, a gesture he uses only when he's either irritated with me or wants to convince me of something. "Read the article about the ogre."