Chapter 46

Chapter 46

~Cavan's POV~

I had never been in China before. Whenever I had pictured the place in my head it had always looked mystical, rolling green hills with age old stone buildings sitting on its steep masses. I had yet to see that aspect of it. As of now all I had seen where the crumbling cobble streets that we were currently running down. We had never all been deployed on a mission together, so this was interesting to say the least.

"Slow 'ur arse down, boy. I'm not the same old man I used to be." I slowed my run, letting myself fall into step with the werewolf beside me. He had thinning black hair that was graying around his ears. It gave him a professional look that still managed to keep his true age hidden from the public.

"You're not that old Burgie,"

"What have I said about you callin' me that, boy," Gorden Burgwulf huffed, still struggling to match the pace that I had set. Everyone had dismantled into groups of two, each of us trying to find a lead as to wherever the all elusive 'Bullettooth' could be. He was one of the two Alpha's in the area, his younger brother manning the other pack. The 'packs' were less of packs and more easily described as glorified street gangs, each of its members being highly involved in some sort of illegal business or another.

"Not to. But when has that ever stopped me before, Gordy old pal?"

"Are you mocking me boy?" Gorden asked, this time attempting to ditch his British accent instead for a horribly enacted southern one.

"Okay, I'll stop if you do,"

"Okay Cav, time to let the old man rest," I slowed to a halt at his words. He only called me Cav when he was serious and or wanted something hefty from me.

I watched transfixed as Gorden leaned over, his head between his legs as he attempted to catch his breath. 

"What time is it anyway?" Gorden heaved between breaths, much to my amusement.

"About time to head back. Beau said he wanted us back at the square at half passed three." 

"What's the time now?"

"3:40,"

"Geez, boy! Don't you know how to read a clock by now?"

"We'll what's your excuse old man? Didn't you all use to live by the watch?"

"It doesn't mean we do now," Gorden wined, finally regaining his breath. I had pushed us to go a lot faster than I should have, which I could tell by the way Gorden struggled to stay on his feet. 

"Look, I'm sorry. I've just had a lot on my mind recently and I guess I'm just taking it all out on you."

"Eh boy, I'm not the one you should be saying this to," my body stiffened at his words. Casey. It always came back to Casey. 

"Casey still thinks that I'm responsible the Rushelli Massacre. How am I supposed to talk someone who thinks I could be capable do something like that?" 

"Obviously he doesn't believe that or else we wouldn't be standing here right now. How can you seriously believe that all of this is about what happened between you and Casey all those years ago? Bloody hell, how dense are you?" I ignored his words, instead turning back to his previous statement.

"Beau's probably waiting on us,"

"He can wait a few moments longer, lad. You've got to sort this out before someone other than me asks you this. Practice makes perfect."

"We don't have time of this Gorden," it was partially the truth, but in reality it was just an excuse so that I wouldn't have to have this conversation.